• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

caterpillar d5g fuel problem

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
cat d5g AGG00655 or AGG0655.... Its been a on going thing I learned today ..all equipment there on site is fueled from a 1000 gal tank into a 100 gal tank to equipment none of them have any problems at all..d5g fuel filters have been changed 3 times by foreman at job site...its always fueled up at ended of day and always messes up at 7 to 9 hours of running ...some times pushing dirt Sideways and up and down on inclines....I don't know if on flat ground yet I'm texting foreman now ...
I haven't had time to check sis for screens in fuel lines or tank
Or get trouble codes yet its a 3 hour one way ride to job site

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
ok it was on flat ground and just shut off and restarted and ran fine then started to stumble miss and no power..
I cant see 2 filter system getting that much trash in them new filters 3 times in 3 weeks ...no leakes at all and its random 2 no power times and 1 shutting down time then no power

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Hey true country how's it die slow stall or flick of a switch sounds like fuel **** solenoid to me
Opps didn't read the last one in time get a fuel gauge in line and watch pressure one on suction side also that makes it sweet lol do fuel filters cure it ?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
How long has the tractor been on that particular job site..? Personally if there is other equipment being fuelled from the same tanks then I fail to see how the refuelling process is the root cause of the problem.
Has anyone tried draining the water/sediment from the fuel tank like they are supposed to do weekly..? Just for sh1ts & giggles..........

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
They will trap trash in the elbow from the fuel tank to the incoming side of the filters. It's a common problem.
Right on the money ...I pulled water and fuel filter assembly has primer on top of it so I took it a part and its was loaded with rust ,pine needles etc
Cleaned it up and back to pushing dirt till I can get it back to shop and drain tank and see how bad it is inside

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
How long has the tractor been on that particular job site..? Personally if there is other equipment being fuelled from the same tanks then I fail to see how the refuelling process is the root cause of the problem.
Has anyone tried draining the water/sediment from the fuel tank like they are supposed to do weekly..? Just for sh1ts & giggles..........
I asked and was tolded yes but I did it today and its stopped up nothing came out ( I did it while they were working on silk fences ) so they don't know what I know now ......going to clean tank as soon as I get it back to shop

d9gdon

Right on the money ...I pulled water and fuel filter assembly has primer on top of it so I took it a part and its was loaded with rust ,pine needles etc
Cleaned it up and back to pushing dirt till I can get it back to shop and drain tank and see how bad it is inside

Shop vac! LOL