• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar D4H Stiff Steering on right control

SimpleFarmer

My D4H steering has become very stiff. Sometimes the right controls do not engage. I have taken the seat and access panels off to lubricate the connections (and remove any homes constructed by my little woodsy friends). However, I'm having a hard time lubricating the affected part. Below is a rough drawing of the control system of the dozer and the problem area.

cid:55A19ACB-F686-4630-BC7F-9881B1B4F5C5

I said it was a "rough drawing". Anyway, after disconnecting the connection at "1", the system works very well to the control box below ("loose"). The remaining part of the controls remains tight. So I think my whole problem is a lubrication one and not a hydraulic problem. I am having trouble lubricating the cross are at "A". It's very hard to reach and seems to be where the trouble originates. Does anyone have any suggestions to lubricate this part? Should I disassemble more of the linkage?

SimpleFarmer

The picture did not come through. I am trying it again.

The rotating linkage marked "A" seems to be my problem. It is very difficult to see, much less, remove. Is there a trick to its removal? Are there any suggestions? I would like to replace any bearings on this piece.

linkage_drawing.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There is a needle roller bearing (Ref #40) and a lip seal at each end of the housing (Ref #44) that carries the cross-shaft. Most likely that is where your problem lies. Can you get in there with something like WD40 and spray around the areas at each end (arrowed) where the bell cranks are.? You never know, that might just loosen things up again.

upload_2019-10-20_16-56-28.png

Bluox

Take the swivel joints off 4&2 at 44and 4 bolts hold 44 on. you can drop it out and work at bench.
Good luck
Bob

SimpleFarmer

I may have to drop it out (44) in the future, but I spent the day spraying it with WD40 and Lithium grease. I would let that soak for an hour or two and then come back to work it and spray it again. By sundown it was working pretty good and hopefully it will last a while. Thanks to everyone.

Now I have a stuck brake, and I suppose it is the same problem. I took off the control plates in the cab, but those were not stuck. It is something further down the linkage which I couldn't see.

SimpleFarmer

The stuck brakes was the same problem. Another cross shaft with needle bearings, I suppose. This was a little harder since it was rock solid stuck. But persistence paid off and now it is free to move and works perfectly. The cross shaft was located under the floor plate.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The problem with the needle bearings on that cross-shaft is that with them having become dry & corroded once they will do it again. I didn't mention it before but on the illustration I posted above there is a seal (#45) on the outside of each bearing. Those seals have in all probability either dried up or are damaged and will be letting water in.
If I were you I'd plan on doing what Bob suggested above and get the shaft mechanism out of the tractor and replace both the bearings and the seals, it's only 4 bolts that hold the assembly in place once you have the linkages loose.

354d

I may have to drop it out (44) in the future, but I spent the day spraying it with WD40 and Lithium grease. I would let that soak for an hour or two and then come back to work it and spray it again. By sundown it was working pretty good and hopefully it will last a while. Thanks to everyone.

were you able to get to these linkages through the access panel that is on the console on the left side with the steering levers? Access looks like it would be difficult. Is there any access through the door that opens on the outside of the operators station where you electrical master shutoff and the transmission oil filler neck is located?

My D4H is having similar problems. I just pressure washed my dozer, but i did not wash down the steering lever linkages on the right side. well, i just thought of something, i did remove the floor plate, and washed down inside this compartment. i might have washed out some lubricant on a linkage controls the left side brakes. thanks, Carr

SimpleFarmer

My steering is still working great. I got access through the floor plate and then worked and sprayed everything I could get to. The main problem seems to be the bearings on the "cross linkage" shown in the picture above.

It's hard to get to but be patient and may take some time to let the lubricant do its work and then reapply.

Of course, the bearings and seals need replacement and this is only a temporary fix, but it sure has worked so far. Much, much better.

354d

Thanks simple farmer, I’ll take the floor plate off and see what I can access. I think I can get to the top linkages through the side panel on the console. Gig’em

354d

So this thread got me looking at my steering levers and linkages. I noticed a lot of play in the shaft where the steering levers connnect. I disassembled the levers , shafts and linkages so I could see the condition of the bearing and seal that the shafts ride on. It was bad as you can see in the pics. I have cleaned everything up and ordered new seals , bearings and woodruff keys. So far ok . I will post a pic and a question in the next post.

Attachments

• 1BC5A3D2-371F-40D6-A05D-C299DF663CDE.jpeg
    1BC5A3D2-371F-40D6-A05D-C299DF663CDE.jpeg
    943.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 9085E3AE-9151-4ACC-9AA8-71DFCBFC74C8.jpeg
    9085E3AE-9151-4ACC-9AA8-71DFCBFC74C8.jpeg
    745.7 KB · Views: 28
  • A9000A8E-D4ED-43AE-81E5-C27060DE82A8.jpeg
    A9000A8E-D4ED-43AE-81E5-C27060DE82A8.jpeg
    799.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 4D5FFC2C-E106-44C1-A5AF-6353803FFC47.jpeg
    4D5FFC2C-E106-44C1-A5AF-6353803FFC47.jpeg
    966.4 KB · Views: 27

354d

My question is, how do install the lever onto the shaft as shown in this pic? This will be very difficult to do on the dozer. The fit is very tight. I had to beat the shaft out of the housing to get it off the dozer. Thanks Carr

Attachments

• 41CF763A-8757-4064-81DB-3B9DCE594A73.jpeg
    41CF763A-8757-4064-81DB-3B9DCE594A73.jpeg
    701 KB · Views: 17
  • 025A6AEF-8448-4F25-BA52-94E03773FAB9.jpeg
    025A6AEF-8448-4F25-BA52-94E03773FAB9.jpeg
    745.5 KB · Views: 20