• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar Based Rat Rod

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Every time the scene changed I had to chuckle.Thanks,Ron G

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Too modern an engine for me in a "rat rod", would prefer it to have a 3306 or better yet a D330!

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I will have to disagree, the only proper engine would be a d336 v8 that you leave idling all the time so everyone can hear all that gear and cam clatter!

kshansen

Occupation
I will have to disagree, the only proper engine would be a d336 v8 that you leave idling all the time so everyone can hear all that gear and cam clatter!

Will agree with that as a good option. If I recall that was the engine in the original 980 Cat loaders. Liked having the boss come through and see that big pile of gear when one was all apart. Don't think he thought we would ever figure out where to put all of them. And it could scare you a bit when turning over by hand the first time as on of the cam lobes went past full open. SNAP!

kshansen

Occupation