• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 955 Traxcavator (circa 1957) serial number location

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
One place to look might be on the engine. Not sure about 1950's machines but in the late 1960 and 1970's most of the machines I worked on had an engine s/n that was the same as the machine.

Sting

Where might the serial number be located on my circa 1957 955 Traxcavator?
My 58 933 Traxcavator is a tag on the left side of the block to the rear.
Do you know where I can get a carrier roller and some of the other parts listed in my thread?

Larry Domingo

One place to look might be on the engine. Not sure about 1950's machines but in the late 1960 and 1970's most of the machines I worked on had an engine s/n that was the same as the machine.

kshansen, thanks for your response. Now trying for the correct repair manuals. Then the steering issues.

Larry

Larry Domingo

My 58 933 Traxcavator is a tag on the left side of the block to the rear.
Do you know where I can get a carrier roller and some of the other parts listed in my thread?

Sting, good answer.

The tag IS on the left rear but printing is no longer readable. Maybe an infra-red light at night.

On Friday I got my 955 from a guy who rolled it down off the mountain behind my place. He wanted to set him in my yard til he could haul him off to auction. Pretty cool dozer but has a firm reluctance to turn left.

I got a roller for my 1088 excavator from Titan Machinery, nationwide. It arrived in its' wrapper with a CNH Industrial label. It is a global industrial equipment company. So for four years it's been sitting on the bench waiting for me to install. How'm I doin!

Interestingly, I found a piston skirt cooling jet for my '57 Hough C100 Loader thru Cooper Tractor, Portland Oregon. Serial number 1933 Int'l D17 engine.

Sting, Thanks Fer Checkin' In,

Larry - '50 Intl L160 Corn Binder, '57 Hough C100, '76 NH 775, '91 Case 1088LT, '96 Case 9060B, and now my Traxcavator! All run good but none operate right, Summer here I come!

Fat Dan

Sorry it took me so long to get you the info. Picture shows on the left side of the engine block just above the pinion clutch. There is another one on the left rear flat of the transmission case sometimes it is stuffed behind a winch or been knocked off. SOMETIMES someone might have hand stamped S/N on tranny case where the tag use to be just above the Trans Group Tag
If you can't read the numbers take some thin clear oil and pour lightly don't rub it in; sometimes the oil will bring out the numbers.. Magnaflux may be used when on sign of numbers are not viable to the the eye.
I have a 57 and a 58 955C. The 1957 S/N is 12A-03563, and the 1958, S/N is 12A-04040

To give you a BALL PARK figure on the production date find several casting dates found all over the engine between two screw heads and using the CodeX cypher the dates these dates are 3 to 6 months prior to the production date.

CodeX
N = 0
U = 1
M = 2
E = 3
R = 4
A = 5
L = 6
C or K = 7
O = 8
D = 9

Attachments

• Img_4125[1].jpg
    Img_4125[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_E3553.JPG
    IMG_E3553.JPG
    432.2 KB · Views: 28

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That second picture took me a few times to be sure I was seeing the letters between the screw heads.

Now I see it as "E M A A C"
E= 3
M=2
A=5
A=5
C=7

So now I see the 3-25-57!

Always figured those letters and suck on a casting meant something to somebody but never had an idea how to decode them! Thanks.

Fat Dan

That second picture took me a few times to be sure I was seeing the letters between the screw heads.

Now I see it as "E M A A C"
E= 3
M=2
A=5
A=5
C=7

So now I see the 3-25-57!

Always figured those letters and suck on a casting meant something to somebody but never had an idea how to decode them! Thanks.

Sorry I grabbed the first pic I came across ... I could have gotten a better picture of the casting to show you.

Attachments

• IMG_E3633.JPG
    IMG_E3633.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 15

Fat Dan

I could have gotten a better picture

Attachments

• Cat 955 SN tag01.jpg
    Cat 955 SN tag01.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Cat 955E 0002.jpg
    Cat 955E 0002.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Img_33399.jpg
    Img_33399.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 29

Larry Domingo

kshansen and Fat Dan, thanks a lot for your research efforts and excellent photos. I was able to faintly see parts of the patent numbers on the plate riveted to the rear left. This by putting a tarp over me for darkness and shining a weak lazer light. There were countries from all over the world but couldn't detect anything with a series/model number. I'll try the oil lenz. I'll feed back with my successes on my Traxcavator! Larry

Larry Domingo

Fat Dan and kshansen,

Here's a couple of chuckles for the crew. The CAT is a C955 Traxcavator, likely from the fifties.

The identiplate happened to shine brightly in the afternoon sun and I was able to read what may be a serial number; "Registrada Bajo No 4341 Mexico" - Any ideas on what repair/operator manuals would match up?

While trying to remove the Mickey Moused transmission filler cap, the stud dropped straight down.

Well, back to the mine.

Larry

Fat Dan

Fat Dan and kshansen,

Here's a couple of chuckles for the crew. The CAT is a C955 Traxcavator, likely from the fifties.

The identiplate happened to shine brightly in the afternoon sun and I was able to read what may be a serial number; "Registrada Bajo No 4341 Mexico" - Any ideas on what repair/operator manuals would match up?

While trying to remove the Mickey Moused transmission filler cap, the stud dropped straight down.

Well, back to the mine.

Larry
I have a few suggestions for manuals to pass on. Old Magnet and I had a similar conversation awhile back about manuals
here is a link to that conversation. I would add it is best to stick with genuine Cat manuals because the aftermarket ones aren't as accurate.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/balancer.80953/page-2

Attachments

• IMG_3185.JPG
    IMG_3185.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

Larry Domingo

Fat Dan, Old Magnet, kshansen, Sting, good news, found the tag on upper left rear of engine covered up with time. The CodeX reads EMOA L = March 28, 1956. Serial Number reads 12A1 1748. Great research guys! The three manuals ordered. Now to fish for the bolt and washer that fell into the tranny. Thanks for all of your help. Keep me up on latest adventures with our family of Traxcavators. Back to the mine! Larry

Fat Dan

Fat Dan, Old Magnet, kshansen, Sting, good news, found the tag on upper left rear of engine covered up with time. The CodeX reads EMOA L = March 28, 1956. Serial Number reads 12A1 1748. Great research guys! The three manuals ordered. Now to fish for the bolt and washer that fell into the tranny. Thanks for all of your help. Keep me up on latest adventures with our family of Traxcavators. Back to the mine! Larry
Fantastic news just ua don't buy up all the parts I need .... LOL:):eek:

Larry Domingo

Fat Dan, I just tried to put in a photo of my handsome '56 Trax but screwed everything up in this system. Finally stumbled back to here.

Good News, got the tranny shifter housing out and there lie the bolt/washer that I "dropped down". No fishin' !

Since you're in Alaska I'm wonderin' what oils you use in your Diesel, Tranny, Torque Converter and Drive.

My manuals haven't arrived yet but thought you'd like the good news.

I was hauled around the Nam in a Douglas C-123 Provider twin engine transport. It was introduced in '56. Another handsome guy.

Talk Soon,

Larry "Mountain Man"

Fat Dan

@MOUNTAIN MAN
"O' man I love it when a plan comes together." NO FISHING is a good thing when you talking about oil applications. You are a lucky puppy ... BTW did you go get a lotto ticket? :)
An old mechanic friend stopped by one day and asked "WHY!? Traxcavators?" Then he laughed out loud and slapped the A-frame over the engine and added "The A-frames gets in the way of everything." I was in total agreement. Anyway, he said 10W is your friend it goes in everything. He suggested for the Diesel and pony to get a drum of 10W with an extra drum AND a drum of 30W and an extra drum so when it goes from summer to winter I could drain the 30W put it in the used good oil drum and put in fresh 10W for winter and viscera in the spring ... depending on the amount of hours worked on oil. I would suggest NOT using detergent*, multi-grade or synthetic oils and try to stay with one brand of oil. Now ask anyone that has lost and engine due to lack of oil and they will tell you any oil is better than no oil.
My reasoning for non-detergent oils is "Don't wake a sleeping Giant." Lets take your 955C, it ran non-detergent oil from 1956 and in all the hidden passages, kooks and crannies have large sharp particle carbon monsters laying in wait. If the particles are flushed out of their sticky slumber by a high detergent oil it will dump a large amount of gunk into the oiling system and after 60+ years of accumulation will continue to release garbage for at least another 60+ years.
Now from what I understand about oil is all multi-grade oils are detergent based, I could be wrong.
Mixing brands and grades of oil from experience has showed me in the past to cause an engine to start smoking. Now that I've said that, I usta use bulk oil ... 'again any oil ... '. Bulk oil was found at service stations and was the leftovers from oil changes and when patrons would add a quart to their vehicle the last little bit in the can would be drained into a drip can usually setting beside the gas pumps.

Synthetic oils and blinds should not be mixed with non-synthetics because, simply put, they don't mix well.
*Non-detergent oil's main characteristic is dirt and crud does not stay suspended, it falls out.

A good article on that issue is on Yesterday's Tractors good pros and cons
motor oil non detergent use it or no?
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ferg&th=44676

RPM Dilo.jpg

Larry Domingo

Fat Dan and "Old Mechanic Friend", thanks your for excellent engine oil overview. Answers some questions I had floating in my bean. Now to the Tranny. When I got the bolt/washer out I stuck the dipstick all the way to the case bottom and there was about two inches of oil. What fluid do you recommend for flushing? What weight do you use up in the Last Frontier? I have a hunch that my '56 hasn't had a thorough goin' thru for many a decade. Speaking of decades, the KC-135 Tanker first flew this month in '56. Still not as handsome as my TRAX!

Mountain Man

Occupation
Self employed mobile welder/mechanic
I'm needing to replace all the orings on the hoses that go to the hydraulic reservoir at the reservoir does anyone know the part numbers for them by chance i know that 4 of them are matching sets 2 and 2 but I'm not sure on the other 2 and I have no part numbers for any of them working on an old 977 h traxcavator20200823_223235.jpg 20200823_223235.jpg

Attachments

• 20200823_223224.jpg
    20200823_223224.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20200823_223214.jpg
    20200823_223214.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 20200821_092449.jpg
    20200821_092449.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 16