• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 416 backhoe, lost drive

brianksc

I have an old cat 416 backhoe, two wheel drive with a manual transmission shift on the floor and a forward / neutral / reverse selector on the steering column. There is a torque converter, no clutch.

I have lost drive, a result of overfilling the transmission with hydraulic fluid by mistake.

I have drained all the hydraulic fluid and attempted to fill with the correct fluid, but it will only take about one third of what I have been told it should take. It seems to me that there is a blockage somewhere in the system. I am not sure where the fluid flows, could it be circulating to the radiator to be cooled? I do not understand how the torque converter oiling system works and I feel that this is where the issue lies. The manual part of the transmission selects gear and the forward / neutral / reverse selector seems to work. I am 85% sure the issue is that I am not getting oil circulating to the torque converter. I do not know where to look for a blockage or if having overfilled with hydraulic fluid could have damaged something.

On restarting after the fill with new fluids I got the backhoe to drive forward about 50 yards, then it lost all drive. That leads me to believe that the manual transmission and selector for forward are working as they should.

I would greatly appreciate

• Correct fluid volumes required
  • The path the torque converter fluid follows
  • Any insight into what the blockage could be
  • Any advice on how to check different components related to the torque converter fluid system and how to verify or eliminate those as the problem
Many thanks

Brian in south carolinac1.jpg
c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg