• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 3412 stuck injection pump rack

excavator

Had a customer call this morning with a 3412 mechanical engine in a grinder, it's been sitting for years and when it was recently started it runs at approx. 1200 rpm and is stuck there, won't idle up or shut down. They pulled the solenoid and said the rack in the pump is stuck, any idea's on getting it freed up? The machine is about 2500 miles away and he has someone over there working on getting it up and running for transport so I have very little info. I know it's pretty vague but any thoughts?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Any chance of a S/N or any numbers off the pump?
As always the more information put in the more information that comes out!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That is actually the Serial Number. Arrangement is 6N-1155. Here's what the injector pump looks like.
I'm not even going to express an opinion whether or not the rack could be freed off out in the bush.

View attachment 206335
Well in my opinion if your name here is pumpguysc I'd say maybe a 50% chance of freeing the rack up in the bush. But for anyone less skilled I'd have to drop that chance of success to about 2%.

But if you do decide to give it a go be sure to set up a cell phone a safe distance away and turn it on to record the initial start up! Be aware that most pieces flying out from a run-away engine will go out the sides so have cell phone positioned so it doesn't get damaged!

Manu

The governor is driven from the pump from a vertical shaft .It sounds like the drive to the flyweight assembly has failed or flyweights have broke through the thrust washer. If a new shaft or flyweight assembly is unavailable the complete governor could be changed. In any case a governor " runaway" is a very dangerous event so it should not be attempted to be repaired by someone not qualified or experienced with such matters. I speak from such an experience with a D9 D353 engine.