1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Caterpillar 287 need help with hydraulics- machine moves very slow

Discussion in 'Compact Track/Multi Terrain Loaders' started by jreese7290, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

So was I right? Hell, I've seen way to much equipment since that job. I seem to remember the pump outlet line going straight to the fan motor. The return line from the fan motor to the return filter mounted at the top left of the engine compartment. I might be thinking of another machine...…...it sucks losing brain power as you get older.:(

mg2361 likes this.
  2. jreese7290

jreese7290 Member

I ended up paying for a Caterpillar technician to come out. He concluded it was either the joystick ($1300) or total pump failure ($6000). I replaced the joystick 1st with an oem Caterpillar unit and that did nor change the issue. Now im looking at replacing the pump. Can anyone send me the repair steps for the pump. I am curious to know how extensive the piston pump replacement will be and if its something i can do myself without pulling the entire engine.

3. Mobiltech

Mobiltech Senior Member

Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
    That’s some good troubleshooting it’s either the joystick or the pump. Wow.
    Pump replacement is done without pulling the engine. BUT. I would sure want to do some more testing before I threw a pump at it. If the pump failed what about motors?
    I would be calling the cat dealer you dealt with and tell him to send out someone who knows how to troubleshoot a hydrostatic system.

TVA, mg2361, Mark250 and 3 others like this.
  4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Wot he said.......... double.

92U 3406 likes this.
  5. jreese7290

jreese7290 Member

We tested the charge pressure and it was extremely low. The reason the technician said it may be in the joystick is because when you move left or right the hydraulic gauge still reads 0. It seems like there is no pressure when you turn the joystick left or right. The machine will move forward and backwards just not at full power. Also there is a very noticeable whining noise when you have throttle on high coming from the hydraulic almost sounds like air is passing through internally.

6. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

Low charge pressure I'd be looking at the charge circuit first. Charge pressure will directly effect hydraulic performance.

mg2361 and Nige like this.
  7. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

I’m getting confused. Is the charge pressure low or zero regardless? Or just low when you try to steer? Something isn’t making sense to me.

mg2361, Nige and 92U 3406 like this.
  8. Mobiltech

Mobiltech Senior Member

Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
    Proper testing by a qualified mechanic should narrow it down to a charge pump problem, an internal leak in the pumps or motors or a leak at a charge relief valve.

mg2361, Vetech63, Nige and 1 other person like this.
  9. ianjoub

ianjoub Senior Member

Find a competent tech to troubleshoot. There are very few issues that require part replacement as part of the diagnostic procedure.

10. Nige

Nige Senior Member

It could be this, this, or this. I know, let's replace the cheapest one. Then if that doesn't work replace the next expensive one on the list, etc, etc. Continue the process until something is replaced and the problem goes away.
    It's called fault finding by substitution.

mg2361 and 92U 3406 like this.
  11. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

That rich people fixing.

mg2361 likes this.
  12. jreese7290

jreese7290 Member

Can anyone send me the install guide for a caterpillar 287

13. TVA

TVA Senior Member

Is charge pre
    OK Cat guys! What else is on the charge circuit? Is fan on charge or implement circuit?

14. TVA

TVA Senior Member

For charge pressure to go to 0 that hydrostatic pump would have to pretty much dead! Not slow!

15. TVA

TVA Senior Member

In event of low pilot pressure it could be internally bypassing joystick or internally bypassing servo piston inside the pump!
    So looks like (indirectly) Cat man detected low PILOT pressure!

Here’s very important question: are we talking pilot pressure going to 0, or we are talking charge pressure going to 0?!?!

16. TVA

TVA Senior Member

Looks like hydrostatics are Rexroth A22VG series 10.

17. TVA

TVA Senior Member

Very first post talked about high pitch noise like air in the system - first thing in this case to inspect suction strainer and suction pipes. Cavitation can kill your pumps really fast!

18. TVA

TVA Senior Member

Another thing that can dump your main pressure
    whst do you mean by “install guide”?

19. Williamsmith

Williamsmith Member

What is the easiest way to flush the hydraulic system of contaminants
    287b

20. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Depending on how badly it was contaminated, anything up to complete disassembly. What broke in your case.?

92U 3406 likes this.