• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 268b fuel sending unit or gauge? Not the fuse. Location and tips on replacement?

bill fold

I have a caterpillar 268b skid steer.
The fuel gauge initially seemed to work and then not work. Now it just stay empty.
I checked the fuse. Fuse is good.
Gauge lights up for dark.
Would this basically indicated a bad sending unit?
Machine has 1500 hours plus or minus a few (had to replace gauge).
Bought the machine new.
Machine has been super reliable.

I don’t have a service manual for machine.
Do I need to tilt the cab back to get access to sending unit?
Should take less than an hour of mechanic time?

should I order this thing from Cat or aftermarket/online? On a tight budget.

any kind of tips and tricks are appreciated.

Thanks!

heymccall

Unplug connector and see where gauge points (key on, of course). Gauge should go to one extreme.
Then ground the pink wire. Gauge should go to other extreme.
If gauge responds to both extremes, the sending unit is suspect.
Screenshot_20201119-220850_Drive.jpg

bill fold

Unplug connector and see where gauge points (key on, of course). Gauge should go to one extreme.
Then ground the pink wire. Gauge should go to other extreme.
If gauge responds to both extremes, the sending unit is suspect.
View attachment 228176
Thank you so much for posting this technical info. I assume that the plug is down the sending unit? Tilt the cab back first to access correct?
Maybe I have a bad ground or other wiring issue. I have noticed there my cigarette lighter plug quit working. When I check the fuse for the “gauges”....its fine and the fuse itself has power to both side. But, I have noticed that there is white chalky corrosion on that fuse slot only. Hmmmmm

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
should I order this thing from Cat or aftermarket/online? On a tight budget.
If you do have to replace the sender it's around $80 from Cat. You might waste more time trying to find one aftermarket than the money you'd save.

A pic of what it looks like.
upload_2020-11-20_11-40-55.png

Oh, and it's going to take longer than "an hour of mechanic's time" .........

bill fold

If you do have to replace the sender it's around $80 from Cat. You might waste more time trying to find one aftermarket than the money you'd save.

A pic of what it looks like.
View attachment 228228

Oh, and it's going to take longer than "an hour of mechanic's time" .........

good point on the part.

Now I’m worried. I Hope I don’t have to remove the fuel tank or something crazy? Any tips on how to go about the parts install/replacement?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Comes out from the top by the look of it. 8 bolts around the flange where it fits to the tank..? (Don't damage the gasket while pulling it out.
You first need to figure out conclusively if it's your problem ........... that's gonna need the cab up and do the tests HMC suggested.

heymccall

On that style, it is not uncommon for the float to fall off. A little creativity would allow you to resecure the float, if that's the case.
And, remember, ALWAYS remove the bucket (or attachment), ALWAYS use the boom safety prop, and ALWAYS ensure that the cab UP latch is set, before going in. ALWAYS.

You don't have to have the boom up, but it helfps.

Last edited: