1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 140H transmission problem

Discussion in 'Motor Graders' started by syncropete, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Chaippah

Chaippah New Member

May u please help me with a workshop repair manual for 140H
    Motor Grader

2. Nige

Nige Senior Member

The only apparent source for shop repair manuals is an internet site such as eBay or Amazon.

3. Z2898

Z2898 Well-Known Member

Just a few things to note to understand this H series transmission.

Its a countershaft not a planetary

KBeen is correct- 3 clutches need to be applied to get movement from machine.
    In any gear selection you should have 3 transmission shift coils energized. (check them with a ferrous material like a screwdriver)
    If only 2 coils are energized it wont move.

If you are getting a "High" current code this is usually an indication that there is an internally shorted coil. Swap it with one that you know is good and try it.

4. PascalDao

PascalDao New Member

Hello Guys, I am currently working to fix a Caterpillar 140 H motor grader that won't select any gear. I changed the control valve and ECM and it started selecting gears. However, the next day I changed the transmission oil because it was low, but when I started the machine it was acting oddly. It sometimes selects a gear, and sometimes does not. Or it will get into gear, and suddenly lose the gear. I noticed directional solenoids 1, 2 and 3 are the ones whose clutch stations don't have pressure when gears don't get selected. I changed solenoid 3 and all reverse gears worked properly for the first 5 minutes and then went back to not selecting gears. Has anyone ever seen anything like this, I am desperate for help.

5. Mark250

Mark250 Senior Member

heavy equipment technician
    Hi a serial number will be needed there are too many differences
    Also brief history and why you changed out the Valve and ECM
    Mark

MHDim likes this.