1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Catalytic converter scrap price

Discussion in 'Recycling' started by mattyt1984, Feb 14, 2021.

1. mattyt1984

mattyt1984 Well-Known Member

I have a 2003 international 4300 with a 6.0 engine. The cat was plugged so I removed and just put a muffler on it. What are these worth in scrap?

2. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I couldnt tell you but call around before you sell it.

3. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

Im my state it is both highly regulated and a big crime wave right now.

Shimmy1 likes this.
  4. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Couple weeks ago there was a news report about vehicles in Jamestown having the cats removed whole they were sitting on the street. What the hell will criminals come up with next?

5. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

Not going to happen, but a catalytic claymore would be proper IMO.

Tones and Shimmy1 like this.
  6. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks
    Toyota pickups are a popular target because they have the ground clearance to get under easy with a battery recip saw. Toyota tends to use more platinum than the other brands.

7. Paul Council

Paul Council Senior Member

In the early 2000's when gas prices were really high. In the Dallas area it wasn't uncommon to wake up with your fuel tank drilled and drained out. I was fortunate enough then to be living in the ghetto and no one suspected that I would have a full tank. On the other hand they did try to steal two of my trucks and did get a stereo out of my car. Funny story about the stereo. After I just got finished replacing the window they broke out and I mean minutes afterwards. A guy walks up to my car and tries to tear off my hood emblem. Not the first time I had to make my point with my 9mm. But soon afterwards the neighborhood knew not to mess with the crazy white boy with the gun. :D

DB2 likes this.
  8. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I don't know what they are worth but someone tried to cut the cat out of my neighbor's pickup. They must of got spooked because they weren't successful.

9. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

Here they hacked two out of potato chip delivery truck (V8) while the guy was stocking the shelves at a local Walmart.

To me there should be some onus in the scrapyards that are buying them.

10. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

I have been very l
    There will always be some one to buy stolen stuff. Someday you will have to have a paper trial on every thing that will be good and bad. You may think this is a good ideal and i not totaly aginst it but when scrap got high they realy cracked down on stuff. I was at the scrap yard and a guy pulled up on the scales he had a 2 foot long chunk of frame rail they rejected his load because he didnt have a title from the truck it came from.

DB2 likes this.
  11. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    My neighborhood mechanic friend whom I sold a spare backhoe to a couple weeks ago told me that a salvage outfit stops by his shop about every other month and buys his rotors and misc iron parts scraps, etc, etc. For the cataletic converters, when he stopped a couple weeks ago, he got $350.00 for the bigger ones off of full size cars and pickups. I got grandma's old 2001 Buick in the yard and he said to cut it off and bring it over and he would sell it for me. He figured it would be worth around $250.00 if the price holds. I was about to take the car to the scrap yard intact. Glad he came to pick up the hoe and happened to see it.

The decent paying reputable scrap yards around here require your picture and a photo copy of your drivers license before they will pay for anything. They got big signs plainly visable stating that, Dont unload if you don't like it. They have been burned to often.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    DB2 likes this.
  12. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks
    Holy cow! That’s some good scrilla.

I was driving through the bad part of Portland a couple years ago with my wife.
    We’d driven past a couple improvised spray-painted plywood signs that read “ “buying cats”.

She asks me”Who’s buying all the kitties? Why? What are they doing with all the cats they buy?”

lol. Not Kitty Cats, sweets. Used car parts. Lol

old-iron-habit and John C. like this.
  13. Quint

Quint Active Member

I believe over the past decade there have been multiple junk recyclers shutdown due to taking in a bunch of stolen cats/dpfs/scrs. Guys were bringing in truck loads of them with no questions asked at the scrap yard.

DB2 likes this.
  14. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I don't know of any around here that got shut down for it. More than once I've heard of the wiring pulled out of stadium lights and been to the scrapper and seen the insulation stripper going full blast.

15. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

My scrap place makes you register I have a card in my wallet. they'll be cash for part of it but they always write a check for some, and they know who you are.

16. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

Instant justice struck on the lower mainland last week some a%#@hole had jacked a car up and was underneath trying to hack the cat out when the the jack let go and flattened him. Hope they dont sue the car owner for not leaving proper support for the vehicle available for the thieves.

17. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Best case I can remember, a whole truckload of aluminum pipe.... was guard rail off a state bridge! LMAO. Yeah they didn't get far.

18. gwhammy

gwhammy Senior Member

Buddy just got 300 dollars for one off a junk v10 ford. Brought as much as the truck.