• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat320l prv issue

kealo

9KK01025

Hi all

I have a new to me machine and it started acting up after a week of using it. At first i thought it was a wiring issue as it was very wet and rainy. When i first would start working the machine in would bog down and stall in most functions. If i worked it gently for a bit it would then start working fine. But as soon as i turned it off i would have to do the same thing again. It seemed to take longer and longer to get it working up to 1/2h. And to the point where it does not work any more. At the same time the digital throttle was not working most of the time. I learned about the hidden switches here on the site and have been using the machine in turtle mode for the pumps and manual for the throttle. Every now and then i will switch it to full auto and it may work for a min then cut out.
I have checked for errors and have the following
E15. Throttle switch
E16 this is prv shorted to ground
E34 throttle lagging

I have been working with a Cat guy who has been helping me solve this but we have not had much success.

The ohms test on the prv is in spec

I have traced out the PRV wiring and it seems fine

I have run a new wire and tried two bypass directly to the controller with no success. See attached diagrams

I just replaced the prv valve as it was not too costly to eliminate this

The controller has a green light

If the error E16 is short in the circuit could it be in the controller?

Will the error codes reset when corrected or do you need to clear them?

Any other suggestions before i buy a new controller?

Attachments

• C2785A6F-8CBB-45B0-A512-818D9F9BFF79.png
    C2785A6F-8CBB-45B0-A512-818D9F9BFF79.png
    245.2 KB · Views: 11
  • D0E841BB-48CC-4403-948D-0ABC31B3DC62.png
    D0E841BB-48CC-4403-948D-0ABC31B3DC62.png
    254.5 KB · Views: 9

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
When you shift the two switches, I think you get the E15 and E16 codes. I think the codes on an A model machine will clear when the problems are fixed.

kealo

When you shift the two switches, I think you get the E15 and E16 codes. I think the codes on an A model machine will clear when the problems are fixed.

The E15 i think is from the switch but E16 is short to ground. I don't think you should get this from the switch?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Green light indicates controller is "normal". Green + Yellow or Green + Red would indicate that there was a problem with the controller.
Your E16 error is actually titled "PRV Circuit shorted to machine frame ground".
I don't know if you have access to this document, but I'll post it up anyway on the off-chance that it might be useful. The testing procedure for an E16 fault is in electrical fault-finding flow chart #2-2

Attachments

• SENR6044-02 320 Control System Test & Adjust.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 10

kealo

Green light indicates controller is "normal". Green + Yellow or Green + Red would indicate that there was a problem with the controller.
Your E16 error is actually titled "PRV Circuit shorted to machine frame ground".
I don't know if you have access to this document, but I'll post it up anyway on the off-chance that it might be useful. The testing procedure for an E16 fault is in electrical fault-finding flow chart #2-2

Thanks i only have bits and pieces of this. I have chased the line and cannot find the short. I ran a new line and did a bypass directly from the controller to the prv with no success. But have not tried with new prv valve yet.

Nige

Try the troubleshooting chart 2-2 and see how you go. Let’s face it you have nothing to lose. It may just save you from having to buy a new controller.

Another thought. Do you have an electrical Schematic.? If not and you want one then start a conversation with me (click on my username) and give me your email address.

kealo

Yes i have a Schematic. And i have checked the prv wiring as per 2-2. As per the attached i have bypassed the entire line from controller to prv with a new line and still get the E16 code and prv still does not work.

Attachments

• CA0FEBF5-92A9-4A17-95DE-A3B9FA220ACA.png
    CA0FEBF5-92A9-4A17-95DE-A3B9FA220ACA.png
    254.5 KB · Views: 5

kealo

So a bit of an update
While running in pump turtle mode the engine seemed to be cavitateing under load. I think lack of fuel.
I had recently cleaned the fuel system as had this issue before.
I had decided to change the fuel line as it was squishy and was worried it was collapsing or had a pin hole

Anyway i changed the hose first thing in the morning and fired up the machine. To my surprise it was running great. All my error codes were gone. Was able to run it in full auto mode and the digital throttle worked perfect. The machine ran flawless for almost 4 hours. I shut it down for 15-20 min and when i started it back up it was back to low power and my same error codes came back. And one other thing. We had a heavy rain storm at the end of the day before. So was it the fuel line or was it the rain and when the machine dried up the issue came back? Bad wires or connection?

I put a fuel pressure ga after the spin on filter before the injector pump and had 31psi
Also good flow from the return line

heymccall

As for fuel system, the screen can under the hand primer has given me many issues. Verify that screen is clean, and, most importantly, that the can gasket and retainer bolt Oring are still in usable condition.
I finally put a Stanadyne FM100 with an integral hand primer there on several of my older machines. 20190816_225432.jpg

kealo

As for fuel system, the screen can under the hand primer has given me many issues. Verify that screen is clean, and, most importantly, that the can gasket and retainer bolt Oring are still in usable condition.
I finally put a Stanadyne FM100 with an integral hand primer there on several of my older machines. View attachment 200601

Yeah i replaced the screen it was plugged bad. My primer leaks a lot so i have ordered a rebuild kit for the pump. This is my pump and screen (pic below). I m also thinking i may have gotten bad fuel from a gas station as they had the in ground tanks dug up next day. And when i drained the bottom of my tank there was algae and sludge and i had cleaned out my tank not long ago. I put in fuel from another place and seems to run butter now.

Attachments

• 0A48B818-B4DE-4504-8F73-722824F17179.png
    0A48B818-B4DE-4504-8F73-722824F17179.png
    490.8 KB · Views: 5

kealo

If there was algae in the tank, draining it would not permanently fix the problem. You’d need to treat the fuel system with an algicide.

What is the process? Is this like a soaps and water solution? Where do you get the algicide?

Nige

There is no water separator on this machine? Is this common?
Not uncommon. According to the O&M Manual the fuel tank should be drained of water and sediment on a daily basis, or every 10 operating hours. Are you doing that..? I assume you have a manual..?
What is the process? Is this like a soaps and water solution? Where do you get the algicide?
Something like this - https://powerservice.com/psp_product/bio-kleen-diesel-fuel-biocide/

kealo

Not uncommon. According to the O&M Manual the fuel tank should be drained of water and sediment on a daily basis, or every 10 operating hours. Are you doing that..? I assume you have a manual..?
Something like this - https://powerservice.com/psp_product/bio-kleen-diesel-fuel-biocide/

No i don't have a manual. I have only had this machine for 3-4 months. And i have been draining every time i add new fuel.
See pick of what i just drained.
I don't have a manual is that something you can send me?

kealo

Is this algae?

Attachments

• 2E9EB558-F291-4A84-BAC4-D75E204FCD77.jpeg
    2E9EB558-F291-4A84-BAC4-D75E204FCD77.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 7FB1AB9E-50B0-4FFD-8142-4403AF65D8CA.jpeg
    7FB1AB9E-50B0-4FFD-8142-4403AF65D8CA.jpeg
    566.8 KB · Views: 12

kealo

So that bioklean is to prevent algae from forming for storage. If i drain my tank do i need to clean the walls? Or just drain and go? I would use that product over the winter when it is stored?

Nige

Others may have different opinions but to me that looks like rust, not 100% sure though.

You can download a manual from Cat. Go to - https://catpublications.com/
When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest"
Type SEBU6656 in the box at the top of the screen and click the Search button. The illustration below should appear. US$46 for a downloadable Adobe pdf file. If you select the paper or CD options there will be S&H charges on top of the price.

upload_2019-8-17_16-16-40.png

To access the download once you have purchased it (if you go that route) go to the top RH side of the main screen and click on "Login". A popup will appear with "manage orders" in the bottom LH corner. Click on that to find your download.

Nige

I suggest you research the treatment of diesel fuel for algae yourself. If you do have algae in the tank then by now the bacteria will have circulated through the fuel feed and return lines and be living there as well as living in the fuel injection pump. Draining the tank and cleaning the walls will not kill the bacteria. Treating the fuel in the tank is only half the battle, you have to kill whatever is in the rest of the system at the same time otherwise the infection will just come back.
If you are using the machine on a regular basis try to get in the habit of draining the fuel tank daily.
The best way of preventing large quantities of water accumulating in the fuel tank is to keep it full as much as it's practical to do so.