• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT308E CR Possible cracks in boom

daterplant

Occupation
earthmoving repair business owner
Bit of info:
Some CAT308E CR excavators may have cracks in the boom around the stick cylinder rear mounts on top of the boom, check with your CAT dealer, they carried out a crack test on four of the 308E excavators for a company I contract to and all four had cracks, clean off the paint along the welds length ways and across the boom then use a crack test spray, it may be covered by CAT warranty.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Do you have any photos showing the cracks..?

It seems this issue applies to 308E & 308E2 CR machines of S/N prefixes GBJ, FJX, & TMX. There is a repair procedure available and also it appears there is some sort of factory support although I have no specific details on exactly what form that support takes. From what I can see Cat dealers should be contacting the owners of all affected machines to schedule an inspection of the boom by a dealer tech.

Last edited:

daterplant

Occupation
earthmoving repair business owner
Sorry I don't have any photos.
The reason I brought it up was these machines we have are used by pipe crews laying pipes, and there is a possibility of it snapping while lifting pipes etc. with guys in close proximity.

bigbob

Mine was recalled and repaired by my Cat dealer at no charge prior to cracking. It is a TMX prefix.