• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat vs. Kobelco

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
I have a choice between a 2004 cat 312CL 7,100 hours and a 2005 Kobelco sk115 6,600 hours. Both are in good shape but I know nothing about Kobelco. I do know that I see many Kobelco excavators on construction sites along the I-35 corridor and down around Houston. What are your thoughts?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We had a 320cl and a sk115. Both good machines. Over 12000hrs when traded. We have got away from cat, mostly for price, but we have several kobelco machines from a rubber Track, up to a 485 that some teenagers decided to burn a couple of years ago. Guess it depends how far you have to go for parts and service

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
Well we have been a Kobelco dealer since they cam into this country and there service and parts are on par with anybody and better than many. Next thing for the most part price is much better also.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We're lucky here, we are only 60 miles away from all the major brand dealers

GBGNO

Kobelco is a great machine we have a 210, 220, and a 260. Parts easy to get and service is excellent as well with our dealer. Never had a CAT and with the cost difference I don't see how we ever would although I would like try try a CAT just to see what all the fuss is about

Vetech63

Well we have been a Kobelco dealer since they cam into this country and there service and parts are on par with anybody and better than many. Next thing for the most part price is much better also.
It MUST be a regional thing.

PipelinerPaul

I have run several new Cat machines over the past 10 years as well as Kobelco. I have always leaned toward Kobelco for their smooth motions and quick cycle times.

Tags

It MUST be a regional thing.

It definitely is. Our Cat dealer absolutely blows if you're a small company, they just don't care about you and your little company. This is from personal experience. Also the price point of a similar machine to a 115,the 314, is laughable at best, at least it was when I was looking to buy 13 or so years ago.

I have had my Kobelco 115SRDZ with a long stick and extra counterweight for roughly 5000 hours now and have been very happy with it. I have been the primary operator of it since I have owned it. I have run a hammer on it now and then and have used the blade for very light grading of loose materials but mostly used the blade for leveling the machine, serviced it regularly, changed the fluid in the finals more often than I had to, and I've had a solenoid and a couple hoses go on it.....

Vetech63

Funny we just has a demo with a new Cat verses the Kobelco and ALL the operators preferred the Kobelco said it was much smother the cab was nicer among other things.
I'm referring to dealer support. It has been awful here for years.

Vetech63

Beings you work for a Cat dealer, naturally you will strongly support Cat. ;)
LMAO. Tell you what ……..how bout you grab a few beers and spend the weekend going through all of my posts and quote 1 where I said I'm a Cat employed tech. If you find one, I'll give you a virtual BJ. If you don't, you give me one...…...deal?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
It's all good guys. I've said before, machine brands are like sports teams. I have yet to operate a loader that impresses me like a Volvo, but other guys would jump up and tell me I don't deserve to be an operator because they suck. I was always a champion fan, then switched to Volvo with the buyout. I like the power in the circle and the visibility for fine grading. I guess service goes with the region. We get great service and support from Cat, Volvo, Link belt and Kobelco. But I think one thing that makes them look out for us, is that we get them to do most of the repairs, even on stuff that's 10 years old.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The best machine brand is the one that you can make money with. As far as preferences go I remember the saying about lawyers. The man who acts as his own attorney has a fool for a client.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Just another Ford/Chevy question and never ending debate. Screw that. They both are quality machines, go from there. Which in your area has the better service/parts support, that's all that matters. When it comes to the machines themselves they're both good, both have strong points and both have quirks that some operator will critique. It's all about your local area and nothing more

delectric123

LMAO. Tell you what ……..how bout you grab a few beers and spend the weekend going through all of my posts and quote 1 where I said I'm a Cat employed tech. If you find one, I'll give you a virtual BJ. If you don't, you give me one...…...deal?
No offense meant, from your statement I assumed you work for Cat, I guess I should have researched your posts first. Sounds like a deal I'd lose on so I'll pass.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You wont beat that Cat for parts and service. Its a no-brainer to me as a service tech.

Honestly, I had the same impression when I first read the post. Once I went back and re-read the post I can see where I made the error in assumption as well. Let's just say the post was vague and not clear, open for interpretation on our end. No harm, no foul, but I will add the sexual challenge doesn't belong here, let's not make a habit of throwing that language around here.