• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat V50C Forklift Continental Engine Problems

rustyjames

Occupation
Construction Project Management
Hi fellow members,

I've got what I believe is a Continental F227 engine, propane, that's in need of repair and I wanted to run the situation through the forum for suggestions. Lift won't idle too well so did a compression check, here's the results:
(1) = 130
(2) = 125
(3) = 107
(4) = 0
(5) = 120
(6) = 150

#4 plug looks like a new one, but seemed like it was a little wet. The machine operates well, other wise, no leaks, very good tires, etc. I'm divided on whether to yank the head, or just sell it as is. Reason being I have way too many project started!
TIA for any input.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
Squirt a couple pumps of some heavy motor oil in #4 cylinder and check it again. If the compression comes up it may give you a bit of an idea if it is rings or a bad valve.

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Pull the head and replace the head gasket. Most likely problem with a 4 or 6 cyl Continental.

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
OOPS.... Is the distributor mounted on top and thru the head, or alongside the engine block?

rustyjames

Occupation
Thanks for the responses. The distributor is on the head. I'm going to start by pulling the head, but I still think it's probably a valve issue, hopefully not piston.

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
E mail me at : forktruk@yahoo.com.
May be able to outline further details of your proceeding
if it is a head gasket.
RJ

rustyjames

Occupation
@RJ: I sent you an email.

Was going to pull the head today but went to remove the distributor and it's frozen in place, big time. I soaked it with penetrant. Anyone have any suggestions for busting it loose? I'm thinking about trying my 3' pipewrench for starters. I noticed a 12 point bolt next to the distributor base, that's not holding it in addition to the clamp is it?

Wes J

Dunno if you have any interest, but I have a rebuilt F245 for sale. It's set up for a Clark, but could easily be converted to a Cat spec.

rustyjames

Occupation
Wes, If this engine is kaput I'll certainly consider it, Thanks for mentioning.