• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat track loader purchase

ippielb

Doesn't it just fry your ass that something so small could stop your machine from operating AND costs $1040??!!!
It’s absolute robbery, there is no way that sensor could in any way be worth that much. I was down for 3 hours, and had to drive into town to get the sensor, it’s a good thing I opened the package when I got it, there was no o-ring in the package at all. Probably charged me an extra $10 for a stupid oring when I mentioned it to the parts guy. I wasn’t allowed to go into the building because I never had a face mask so I called and made them bring it to me, if I’m going to get bent over I may as well get courted first.

I’m taking the old one in to a farm electronics shop that rebuilds sensors switches and everything and I’m going to see if they can figure out what makes it tick and rebuild it. Then I’ll keep it as a spare if they figure it out.

After I replaced the sensor the machine ran flawless no codes. I forget how to clear the service codes with the switches under the right console. Anyone care to refresh my memory? I can’t remember what page I was told before.

ippielb

Scrappers here are LIKING Fence wire, High Tensile!!
We have a steel mill here and they don’t like it. Not even worth the time and effort to take it in. $20 a ton. Lol it was cheaper for me to dig a hole and get rid of it then it was for him to drive it all the way into the city.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I’m taking the old one in to a farm electronics shop that rebuilds sensors switches and everything and I’m going to see if they can figure out what makes it tick and rebuild it. Then I’ll keep it as a spare if they figure it out.
If as you mentioned earlier when you wiggle the pigtail between the connector and the ballast (the silver tube) then maybe you have a soldered joint somewhere that is giving up. It may well be fixable quite simply.

Nige

After I replaced the sensor the machine ran flawless no codes. I forget how to clear the service codes with the switches under the right console. Anyone care to refresh my memory? I can’t remember what page I was told before.
Hold the Serivce and Clear switches over together until the Mode shows "-3-" then release.
Each press of the service switch will scroll from one Diagnostic Code to the next.
Each press of the clear switch will erase a Logged Code.
When you're done press both switches together again until the Mode shows "-0-" and release. that will put you back in operational mode.
upload_2020-11-7_16-12-0.png

ippielb

Hold the Serivce and Clear switches over together until the Mode shows "-3-" then release.
Each press of the service switch will scroll from one Diagnostic Code to the next.
Each press of the clear switch will erase a Logged Code.
When you're done press both switches together again until the Mode shows "-0-" and release. that will put you back in operational mode.
View attachment 227377

do you get paid to help everyone? You deserve a coffee!

ippielb

So i got another question, while doing cold starts in colder then -15*C the other day. I thought it was a glow plug switch on the dash, but looking at the electronic schematics. It's appearing to be an air heater. I'm unsure if the switch or the heater works. The light on the dash to indicate the operation does not light up. Is the air heater on a timer? So one holds the button down long enough for the light to illuminate to signal to start or?

ippielb

798AD003-1815-48B6-8202-E87126ADE429.jpeg FC92709B-7336-4464-B37D-7C41EC248A10.jpeg 8463969F-42DE-4EB3-A7FB-F878EFD60488.jpeg
Are you talking about this switch.? The Operator Manual lists it as being for the ether start aid.
View attachment 228458

Are there any ether lines hooked up to the air inlet manifold.?
View attachment 228459

It’s the switch right beside it, it’s a glow plug symbol on top of the engine. It’s beside the ether button. 2 way switch, spring loaded to come back to off position.

it shows up in the electric schematics as an air inlet heater. I thought for sure it was glow plugs but when I looked I never saw where the glow plugs could be.

Nige

According to the schematic the air inlet heater wiring is not connected to anything. Look for "CONN 19" you will see that there is nothing connected to the "business side" of it. It must have been an attachment for another model. This is borne out by what the Operator Manual says when talking about the Monitoring System Panel indicators.

upload_2020-11-23_11-42-1.png

Again, have a look to see if there is any ether tubing connected (or signs of it having been connected) to the inlet manifold between the turbo and the engine.

This is for machine 3RZ00297, correct..?

ippielb

According to the schematic the air inlet heater wiring is not connected to anything. Look for "CONN 19" you will see that there is nothing connected to the "business side" of it. It must have been an attachment for another model. This is borne out by what the Operator Manual says when talking about the Monitoring System Panel indicators.

View attachment 228468

Again, have a look to see if there is any ether tubing connected (or signs of it having been connected) to the inlet manifold between the turbo and the engine.

This is for machine 3RZ00297, correct..?

this is correct it is for that serial number. Which when I go to the dealership they list it as a LGP unit, and when I type it into the cat parts website it lists it as a waste handler unit.

the machine has the yellow bottle of ether on the firewall, with the tubing running to the engine, unsure if it is actually plumbed into anything I never thought about it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If has ether hotshot will have had the intake heater disabled if even had one
Bad mix ether in intake and a heater element with it

Nige

the machine has the yellow bottle of ether on the firewall, with the tubing running to the engine, unsure if it is actually plumbed into anything I never thought about it.
If you need improved low ambient temperature starting capability then I suggest you should pursue the ether system and find out if it's working.

ippielb

Went out there, the one side door was frozen shut. But there is no intake air heater on the machine. And I couldn’t see glow plugs.

I’d much rather have either of those then ether injection.

Welder Dave

Ether is fine if used properly and doesn't drain the batteries like glow plugs or intake heaters. Cat factory systems inject a measured amount of ether and won't allow it if the engine is warm. The shop that did my engine lost the electrical connector that went near the water pump. It was temp. switch that wouldn't allow the ether system to work when the coolant was warm.

ippielb

Ether is fine if used properly and doesn't drain the batteries like glow plugs or intake heaters. Cat factory systems inject a measured amount of ether and won't allow it if the engine is warm. The shop that did my engine lost the electrical connector that went near the water pump. It was temp. switch that wouldn't allow the ether system to work when the coolant was warm.

Next cold start i'll give the old ether button a try, who would've thought that cat would put a glow plug/intake heater button, and indicator light in a machine without any function...