• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat track loader purchase

Cmark

Well if there are now no logged codes, it doesn't sound like the light is coming on for an electrical fault as such. Without plugging it in to ET, it is difficult to say though.

One thing I have noticed is that "the hydraulic oil must be warmed to a temperature of 50 to 60c in order to perform submodes 15, 16 and 17" Now it's feasible that the software could put the light on and refuse to calibrate if the oil is too cold, but I cant find it documented anywhere in SIS. It may be your problem though.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My bad on the voltage, just finished fighting my own pickup as to a bad cable, had the 12v system locked in my head.

ippielb

Well if there are now no logged codes, it doesn't sound like the light is coming on for an electrical fault as such. Without plugging it in to ET, it is difficult to say though.

One thing I have noticed is that "the hydraulic oil must be warmed to a temperature of 50 to 60c in order to perform submodes 15, 16 and 17" Now it's feasible that the software could put the light on and refuse to calibrate if the oil is too cold, but I cant find it documented anywhere in SIS. It may be your problem though.
I thought that was the problem as well and so I completely warmed up the machine did a little work and got it warm. Still was unable to calibrate submode 15.

ippielb

27.5v at the alternator post at high idle.
27.2v at the battery post.
13.5v per battery
12.6v per battery with machine off.

Cannot reach the end of the cables to test the cables right now.

Submode 15-28 all have the trans light on when in the calibration mode. This is with out the machine at operating temperature.

Usually when I leave the master switch on, the machine will have dead batteries in a week. This time I accidentally left it on because I had to rush into the city because my dad locked his keys in his truck and I forgot to turn the switch off. That was over 2 weeks ago. And the machine still started.

Cmark

The fact that you've got no more logged codes makes me think your voltage isn't the problem. It looks like you're probably going to have to get someone with ET to see what's going on.

ippielb

Forgot to turn off the master switch and never used it for two months. Went to use it a couple days ago, and the batteries were dead. So i charged the batteries, started it up. And went to park the trucks that i used to charge each battery. Let my 973 idle at low idle while i did it. And when i got back from parking the trucks and walking back to the machine, there was an alarm going off, SERV CODE was illuminated. And the voltage light was on. Came up with the 0168.04, but as soon as i revved it up to 1200 rpm, the light went out, and the serv code went away.

Appears the alternator is not charging at low RPM. But would that effect me from calibrating?

Dickjr.

I think it is common for those to require a little rpm to engage the alternator. The 53C I ran was like that , the charging symbol would flash , give it a few rpms and it would go out. My 943 does it as well. Crank it up at low idle , if you let it set the alternator light flashes until you rev it.

ippielb

Heres the latest thing with the machine. Cleaning out the creek bed in the pasture. Have a few more clips to come.

Watch it in 1080p, i took the time to set up my good camera and mic so want you guys to watch it to make my effort worth while lol

Welder Dave

Seems like you should have enough weight and power you could have pushed the amount you dug in 1 or 2 passes and saved a lot of time driving back and forth. It does take a lot of practice to be the most efficient though.

ippielb

Seems like you should have enough weight and power you could have pushed the amount you dug in 1 or 2 passes and saved a lot of time driving back and forth. It does take a lot of practice to be the most efficient though.
I could've done the whole creek in one pass if the ground was consistent and straight. I was just trying to get set up more, get into a groove. Figure out my angles and the cleanest way. Sometimes smaller buckets make for a faster end result. Save some on clean up.

I have done a lot in the pasture next time it's calm I'll take my drone up and get a picture.

It's satisfying when I got a straight run and I could put the bucket down and just push. The bucket is the perfect shape and i got the dirt rolling in the curve. Making a tight 140 degree turn putting a slope on the sides made for interesting technique.

I ended up moving the creek bed in the centre of the pasture more in one spot which the creek ran along the fence line and beside the road. So I think the municipality will be happy to see the creek moved over about 30 feet away from the road.

I have close to 30 piles of dirt, all about 10-12 feet high. Unsure on what I'm going to do with it all lol.

ippielb

Heres the video that starts up right as the first one ends. I have a few more I am going to upload. I am gone away for work for over 12 hours, so I only got a couple hours a day after work to try and do this. Took me three days to get between the dugouts done.

ippielb

Here's a couple pictures of the work i did. The two dugouts are like 900 feet apart, i dont know how i would get the distance with all the curves and bends. But its a lot lol.

Welder Dave

It just looks like you aren't utilizing the size of the machine to advantage. You have a bucket that will carry well over 3 yds. and some loads aren't even a 1/4 of that. To me that translates to 3 times undercarriage wear, fuel consumption and time for the same job. I know you can't always get a full bucket but you can make more than 1 pass to fill the bucket before dumping. Most of my experience is with a skid steer but I think the same principles apply. If I'm digging a swale or a ditch, I could make 3 or 4 shallow cuts to get the shape I want and then carry a mostly full bucket to the dump pile. On my 1 yd. track loader, I replaced the undercarriage so try not to make unnecessary trips back and forth. I wouldn't want to have to replace the undercarriage on a 973!