• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat towmotor

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I'm working on a Cat towmotor forklift with a 3208 engine. I has set for about a year and a half or longer. Anyway I got it started after repairing steering issues but now it will not shutoff. I removed solenoid and tested it, it works outside connected to battery.
My question is what could be causing engine not to shutdown?

hvy 1ton

The solenoid opens the fuel cutoff, there should be a spring in the linkage somewhere that the solenoid pushes against. When the solenoid turns off the spring pushes the cutoff closed.

crane operator

The solenoid when receiving 12v allows the fuel into the system. When no 12volt, the spring on the solenoid itself should push the plunger down, cutting off fuel. If the plunger pushing down is not shutting off the fuel, somethings wrong in the pump. If the plunger is hanging up from rust/ setting, (I've seen that) it can hang up inside the solenoid, allowing the engine to still run. Turn it upside down (solenoid), dismounted from the pump, and spray some penetrating oil on it, and work it back and forth till it pops back down easily.

You can manually run the button that the plunger pushes against with the handle end of a screwdriver, just to make sure somethings not wrong inside the pump, maybe working that lever back and forth, but I bet your plunger is just hanging up.

The shut off, that the plunger controls could be gummed up/ crudded up from sitting also, and it may need a good cleaning out.

If its not that (pump/ fuel), then you're leading to all kinds of other possibilities, like that its not running on fuel, but engine oil, but you don't want to go down that path.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I checked the plunger and spring everything seems to be in working order as far as that goes. And as far as running on oil I don't think that's the problem, but you never know.

crane operator

Did you manually push up and down on the little lever below the solenoid? The pump levers may be gummed up or rusted stuck from sitting.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Ok thanks for that info. I'm wondering if I start the engine with solenoid off and manually operate the lever?

crane operator

That would be my next move. If that lever won't shut it off, can you shut the fuel off another way? or are you shutting off the air? You could just install a ball valve in the fuel line while you're troubleshooting. If the little lever won't shut it off, and the ball valve in the fuel line won't shut it off, its not running on fuel. I'm betting the little lever is the issue.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Ok I'll try that next week when I get back to it. I shut it down by adjusting the idle screw so rack would shut off

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Hey Crane Operator I found that the solenoid works with just the trigger wire attached. There are two other wires going to the hot post on the solenoid and they are retaining some voltage, just enough to keep solenoid from working. I'm wondering where these other two wire go?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I'm also working on a Lindie 140D forklift that is slow cranking. I installed a new battery but to no avail. I replaced the turbo which is the only thing I did. But this lift has been sitting for about a year. What is the voltage for the electrical system.

SARuger

I'm also working on a Lindie 140D forklift that is slow cranking. I installed a new battery but to no avail. I replaced the turbo which is the only thing I did. But this lift has been sitting for about a year. What is the voltage for the electrical system.

How many batteries does it have? I'm betting its a 12v.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Yes it only has one battery so I'm thinking 12V also. It's just slow on cranking I guess I'll have to check the starter out, dang it.

crane operator

Hey Crane Operator I found that the solenoid works with just the trigger wire attached. There are two other wires going to the hot post on the solenoid and they are retaining some voltage, just enough to keep solenoid from working. I'm wondering where these other two wire go?

I would guess that one of the wire's goes to the hour meter,so if the solenoid is powered, you're putting on hours. I would imagine the other one is something else they only wanted to be powered when it was running, and they were to lazy to run to the ignition switch. Hard telling unless you just trace the wiring.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Ok thanks for the help. I'm thinking that the key switch may be bleeding over also, I will check the wiring when I get back to it.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Hey guy's I got the problem fixed. Someone attached the temp sender wires to the shutoff solenoid. The lift starts and runs great after setting for two years. Thanks for all your help.