• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat throttle sticking

BLconst

My throttle on my cat skid steers seem to stick a little, as if at a high idle. if i pull up on floor pedal with foot it idles normal. Where can linkage be lubed and with what?

maxamillion67

Occupation
I am scruber attendant at a coal fired power plant
The linkage for the throtle is under the floor plate near the foot throtle. It may be a little dirty or rusted. Go to your local parts store and they should have somthing, I would lube it with something that will not freeze if you are in a colder climate. Also lube up the foot pedal there maybe dirt in the hinge of the pedal allowing it to stick.

rjm022

mine was like that too when i bought my cat last year. lubing it did not help- bought a new pedal assembly from cat for 176.00 and spent roughly three hours replacing it. i lube it on a regular basis, so i dont have to go through this again. just a pain in the butt install.

pedahead

I replaced the cable on my 242b on the foot pedal and fix my problem. Got the parts at Cat for perfect fit.

pedahead

242 b

I have a 242b. It moves faster in reverse than forward. Changed the resoleer valve checked presure all are what it calls for.What else could it be?

420dit

I was wondering how u did the replacement of foot pedal assembly. Did you disconnect and reconnect the cables from underneath the machine or from inside the cab through the floor? A Cat mechanic told me they do the repair from underneath but I am not familiar with it and it seems like a long way to reach from the ground up and it looks as though you would have to do it blindly as you can't see much with your arms in the way. Is it an easy enough connection or is there a trick or two I should know before I attempt it myself ? I am going to try it myself in a couple of days any insight is really appreciated, thanks kindly 420D

barklee

I have done both the foot pedal and the throttle linkage. I am thinking you have to remove the floor pan, which is a pain. Then you have to contort your body inside and upside down to see what you are working on. No major tricks other than finding a way to see what you are working on. I know i didnt do anything from underneath.

rare ss

i had the same thing once, turned out the cable had been acting as an earth lead and melted (the cause was an incorrectly wired starter motor isolator and jump start plug)

wcracer7

I just got done with mine, I tore it completly apart, even ground the shafts that hold the pedal to the mount then just tack weld it back together, the bushing to the steel shaft wasnt the problem it was corosion between the aluminum and the bushing, I also took a cutoff wheel and notched the floor plate so u can pull it out without taking the pedal apart. Put together with lots of antiseize and it works great

jagarz

pedahead, i also got 242b i am trying to replace the throttle cables,(foot pedal is seized and broke, and hand throttle moves but engine is unaffected). i was wondering how you replaced them, i took out all the rusted bolts in the floor pan and took out the 3 bolts holding the foot pedal down. pedal is loose but wont pull out of floor, and floor pan doesnt seem like it will come out without pulling the two grey plastic arm things and seat out? i think i'm stuck. any guidance or info would be greatly appreciated. thanks jagarz

Reactions: GPL

Skidpro

You need to get the floor pan up a bit - this can be accomplished by pushing the panel where your heels are, you need a prybar but it will move the 3/4" required, just make sure the upper torx head bolt is out.

That will give you enough play in the system to pull the pedal thru the hole (it just barely fits, you gotta press the throttle and rotate it, it will only pull thru a bit the cables hold it back) then you then need to pop the pin/clips - rotate and pull. Then you need a 4mm allen key to remove the wee little brackets that hold the cable to the pedal assembly.

Set the throttle stop to where the old one was while both pedals are out to save time :)

Cheers.

pathfinder

We are just going through this corroded foot pedal on our new used cat 248B skidsteer and it says you have to tilt the cab back to work on it but don't see how that could make it easier. I have looked everywhere on the net for a schematic on the foot and hand throttle all I find is someone wanting to sell a service book for $900.00. Looks like we need to be a contortionist to change to the new one that won't corrode....we don't bend so good anymore at 70yrs. Trying to understand how to get this done on the foot throttle is hard enough but cannot find anyway to get at the hand throttle which feels like it is just disconnected from the linkedge. This is our first skidsteer and we love it but would like at least one throttle to work properly. I posted a couple months ago but the weather has not been above freezing until now so we are eager to learn how to get the problem solved. Anyone know of a trustworthy site to get PDF repair for this problem. Hate to be a pain in the butt but you guys are our only help.

Skidpro

It's jut easier to work on with the cab up, it's only 2 24mm nuts or 15/16 socket will do. If your concern is the hand throttle being disconnected then put the unit on jack stands and remove belly pan and take a look.

To replace the pedal its fairly easy.

-lift boom and lock in place
-raise cab
-remove floor mat
-remove front clean out plate 2x13mm bolts don't loose the spacers(good time to wash it is now)
- remove 8x 10mm floor bolts
-remove upper torx head bolt on the plate where the fuse panel is
- remove 3x 10mm bolts holding pedal down
- pry fuse panel plate backwards
-pry up floor plate a bitso it's loose and above the fuse plate
-pull throttle pedal thru hole pop 2 clips
-remove 2 small brackets held with Allen head bolts

This is how I do it everytime, sometimes if I'm lazy I dont pull the clean out it just makes the one bolt at the back of the pedal easier to get at...

pathfinder

Skidpro, your directions are awesome it could be put into the book How to Change Skidsteer Foot Throttles for DUMMIES. Your directions worked perfectly and this has saved us a lot of money, can't thank you enough. Pathfinder