• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Skid Steer Lift Arms Twisted, Racked and Cracked - What should I do?

uglyguy

I dug a tree stump out of the ground with a Root Rake on my 299D2 and twisted my Lift Arms (I think). When I was digging it out, I felt something rack/twist. I know you should never do this, however I have done it hundreds of times with my previous 289C and never had any issues. I assume since the 299D2 is more powerful than the 289C is was to much for the arms? Again, I know it's not made for this and the dealer said that happens with Root Rakes. I've called a few machine shops and weld shops and nobody's interested in realigning or repairing the arms.

My question are...

1) I assume, I racked the arms and not the body frame. Its hard to tell. We put the Skid Steer on a concrete pad and used a lazer level to try to determine the root cause. The left and right side of the body frame (from the center of cab) was out of allighment about 1/2".

2) We did find some hairline cracks at the original welds at the bottom of the arms on both sides of arms. I was going to try to twist the arms back by pulling the arms in the other direction with a chain and tractor. Hoping to bend it back in palce and then grind the welds back out and have them rewelded. Has anyone tried to straighten them back?

3) Another option was to take it to a body shop and see if they could straighten it with a Body & Chassis Realignment-Jig? Would this be possible?

4) Is it possible my bushing are worn and needs replaced and that is part of the issue? I have not removed the busing to inspect. But was planning on cecking them out this week.

5) Would I be better buying a used lift arm set for $1,900 from a salvage machine. Cat wants $10,900 for new arms.

Attachments

• IMG_3197.JPG
    IMG_3197.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3189.JPG
    IMG_3189.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 42

uglyguy

Attached is a picture of the new arms ($10.900) and a picture of a USED salvaged arms ($1,900) that was in a fire. Not sure how the heat would effect the strength and integrity of the steel?

Attachments

• cat arms 1.JPG
    cat arms 1.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 21
  • cat arm.JPG
    cat arm.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 21

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
If it still locks on to a bucket and raises and lowers ok, why worry about it. Try to put pressure opposite side to realign it then Reweld it and use it as is. I have bent the bucket on both sides on both of my loaders. Always happens tring to push a tree over on the outside edge. You can see it get out of whack and move a few inches one way or the other. When It does, I will hook a tree on the back side of the bucket and reverse or put pressure on the opposite side to straighten it back out.

Every time it does it I think it is really had it now. But it is still workin.. Done it over and over again...

Last edited:

uglyguy

Yesterday, I hooked and a chain to the arm and tried to pull it back in place. Could'nt bend it back. I'm not if the main body frame is bend?

Question - Could there be a bushing broke? When I move the Arms up and down, it appears the lower bushing on the Right Cylinder (bottom Back of machine) has a lot of slop in it.