1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cat Shopping 257 Vs 259

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by dieseldog5.9, Jul 31, 2022.

1. dieseldog5.9

dieseldog5.9 Senior Member

Looking to get into a tracked skidsteer to run our harley rake, have a Cat 262 that we currently use and like and will keep at the shop. Thinking a 257 or 259 seems like a mid size popular machine that would be nimble around the jobsites.

Just hearing on the street that these newer machines the hydraulics arent as smooth as the older machines and can be difficult to fine grade with, 257 rides smooth but the tracks are super expensive to repair. 259 was a popular machine but not as stabble as the 257.

looking to make an informed decision any information or experience would help.

2. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Run from the ASV undercarriage as they are expensive to repair and maintain. I would highly recommend the 259 with standard CTL UC.

We have gotten over 2K hours on OEM tracks and sprockets on our oldest 279D. We've never gotten that many hours out of a set of tracks running CTL's since 2003.

Don't know about the 259D but we have 2 279D's one 2016 and 2019, both are very stable grade machines.

Chrisso likes this.
  3. Chrisso

Chrisso Well-Known Member

Diesel Mechanic
    Surprised to see Cat still selling MTL's (aka 7's). As far as i thought they were done and dusted at least down here. Constantly doing undercarriage work.

4. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Apparently Cat has discontinued the model as it's not on the US website either which speaks for itself.

Chrisso likes this.
  5. Skidx

Skidx New Member

My friend replaced his cat 259d with an asv rt 120 and is now very happy.