• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat pilot controls

Brandt

When did Cat start using the pilot controls??
I'm old school and like the mechanical controls and ease of troubleshooting.
I know the 215-245 series was mechanical. I think the 300 series is electro pilot. What about a 240B ??

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I know the 215-245 series was mechanical. I think the 300 series is electro pilot. What about a 240B ??

It's been a few years since I ran a 200 series. But I am pretty sure they were hydraulic pilot controls.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Sorry you're not correct All the Cat 200 series excavators right back to the mid-70's have pilot controls. In fact I'm fairly sure all Cat excavators including their collaborations with Mitsubishi have pilot controls.

Brandt

Is there another definition of pilot controls?? I refer to pilot controls as small joysticks that send electric signals to the valve. I define mechanical control as a stick that is physically attached to the valve thru rod or cable. The stick may move 4 ways but it is still mechanical, not using voltage.

I guess a better way to clear up my question is: What models did Cat start using electricity to control hydraulics??

lumberjack

Pilot controls is commonly a low pressure hydraulic system that uses joysticks and pilot pressure operated valves. Quite reliable.

ih100

All the 300's I've been on have been pilot hydraulics. I've heard them called electro hydraulics but the only thing electric is the anti-stall system. If you look below the seat arms there are still small hydraulic lines running to the levers.

Dale Beeson

Occupation
CAT00305CDSA00277
Were all the pilot systems the same pressure? Meaning could you use the pilot joystick off a different Cat excavator on a different model assuming you could get it to mount up? assuming all had 6 ports on the bottom IN, OUT, AND THE 4 DIRECTIONS?