• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat parts manual gives wrong part #

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Try to get length and width measurements as well. I just remembered that I have access to another resource that might help to identify the gasket by its measurements.

Based on earlier posts I suggest you take a good look to see whether the upper & lower gaskets appear to be identical or are clearly different in some obvious way.

pkw

Try to get length and width measurements as well. I just remembered that I have access to another resource that might help to identify the gasket by its measurements.

Based on earlier posts I suggest you take a good look to see whether the upper & lower gaskets appear to be identical or are clearly different in some obvious way.
will do, thanks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Below is the type of information that can be used to identify the gasket. I know your gasket is much bigger with far more holes but the basic measurement criteria remain the same. If the radiator is still assembled then you will not be able to get some of the measurements because they will be hidden inside the top tank. No guarantees but it will give us half a chance.

upload_2022-5-26_22-7-44.png

pkw

Ok I think I figured out where i went wrong.

cat dealership sent me the gasket for the upper tank, not the adapter "plate" that is located between radiator core and the upper tank.
The parts guy assumed two of these gaskets were needed( one for top one for bottom) thats not the case.

After dissembling the radiator assembly, I was able to read old numbers off of the gasket in between the plate and radiator core on the top (6n4949)

Bottom assembly is nearly identical and I believe R.C. quoted correct part numbers and as Nige stated they service to new numbers.

Below are some pics for a visual for future reference for anyone with the same problem20220530_200518.jpg 20220603_175129.jpg 20220603_175404.jpg 20220603_180241.jpg

.RC.

I am wondering. How many fins per inch is your new core. I see your old one is around 6 fins per inch and the tubes are straight. On your new core the fins are canted as well.

pkw

I am wondering. How many fins per inch is your new core. I see your old one is around 6 fins per inch and the tubes are straight. On your new core the fins are canted as well.
yes the old one has 6 fins per inch and the fins are paper thin. the new radiator has was supposed to have 9 fins per in but is closer to 8 but overall much more heavy duty...
the old radiator core is light weight easy to move can fold over fins easily with my finger. the new radiator core is a two person job and fins are wayyy thicker.