• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat no 12 grader starter conversion

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
You don't need brakes:p:D. We were testing a new road race car a few years back. Each session I pushed a little harder as we shook it down. One particular session I came back in and Scott said man you were flyin that time. What change did we make to wake the car up like that? I laughed and said we didn't bleed the brakes. I lost them the second lap!

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
Nice that’s for sure I have been known to accidentally forget to hook up the left front bake on a dirt late model good times right there

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Would cat transmission sae50 oil work in the tranny on this grader instead of sae 90

In all probability yes, if you are not going to be working it long and hard. Seals may be a bit more leak prone with the thinner oil. Why not just use the correct 90 wt?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
From what I know, SAE 50 is the same viscosity more or less to SAE 90. The scale breaks between 50 and 75 and they are parallel scales. But I don't know how much that applies to this machine.

Jakebreak

Occupation
It's what we had in our shop we have quite a bit of it for our backhoes I didn't have time this week to get to cat and pick up a bucket of 90 wt thanks I appreciate it oih are you going to make Santa margarita this year for the show

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
From what I know, SAE 50 is the same viscosity more or less to SAE 90. The scale breaks between 50 and 75 and they are parallel scales. But I don't know how much that applies to this machine.
Here's an illustration that shows how viscosity on the SAE Engine Classifcation range that applies to TO-4 oils compares to the SAE Gear Oil viscosity range for EP Gear Oils. As BV pointed out an SAE50 TO-4 has a pretty much identical viscosity to an SAE90 Gear Oil.
With TO-4 oils being designed for heavily-loaded gear sets I don't see any reason why TO-4 would work in this application. It's quite possible that TO-4 didn't even exist as a specification when this particular machine was manufactured.

Viscositiy Scales.png

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
It's what we had in our shop we have quite a bit of it for our backhoes I didn't have time this week to get to cat and pick up a bucket of 90 wt thanks I appreciate it oih are you going to make Santa margarita this year for the show

I don't think I can make Santa Margarita this year. We are however headed west in another week. I would like to make Tulare if we are can but unsure at this point. Plans are pretty loose. I need to find the Tulare dates but historically the show is in later April.

Jakebreak

Occupation
Awesome let me know if your going to make the show in April Tulare is just 45 min up the road from me I would like to make it and bring my son he would enjoy that I did when I was a kid and my dad used to take us up there

Jakebreak

Occupation
Here's an illustration that shows how viscosity on the SAE Engine Classifcation range that applies to TO-4 oils compares to the SAE Gear Oil viscosity range for EP Gear Oils. As BV pointed out an SAE50 TO-4 has a pretty much identical viscosity to an SAE90 Gear Oil.
With TO-4 oils being designed for heavily-loaded gear sets I don't see any reason why TO-4 would work in this application. It's quite possible that TO-4 didn't even exist as a specification when this particular machine was manufactured.

View attachment 179361
Thanks nige for the picture I'm going to have to drain the tranny and change the oil but I'm gonna have to get more oil before I do it

Jakebreak

Occupation
So I changed the tranny oil it had a lot of water in it and a lot of sludge in the bottom of the case what bothered me was when I went to drain the tranny filter housing I had no fluid come out of the housing am I missing something I didn't get a chance to take the filter off I ran out of daylight any thoughts

Old Magnet

Did you drain the transmission before opening the filter drain? If so I wouldn't expect much to come out of the filter housing drain. What was in the housing and filter canister would most likely drain back through the pump as there is no check valve involved.

Jakebreak

Occupation
Did you drain the transmission before opening the filter drain? If so I wouldn't expect much to come out of the filter housing drain. What was in the housing and filter canister would most likely drain back through the pump as there is no check valve involved.
That's exactly what I did for some reason I was thinking their was a check valve and their would be fluid in there thanks again are you going to make any of the tractor shows this year in Tulare or Santa margarita