• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat monitoring system

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
980g 2kr1501 quad gauge and tach cluster inop.
They both self test but don't display info on et trans shows gear and direction but gear lever line on et says not available or something like that. But there's not a position sensor so I'm thinking that's calculated by trans or monitoring modules.....One code in monitoring system mid 30 cid 819 fmi 02. Main display not receiving back info... Ohms the pink yellow blue c413 c414 e708 to power ground and each other wiring seems good load tested grounds and main monitor power.
Quad gauge and tacho. Gauge group both maintain ground and 9 volts
Sensors voltage from main display stays at 8 volts what don't i know about this monitoring system yet thanks hef!

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
on et trans shows gear and direction but gear lever line on et says not available or something like that. But there's not a position sensor so I'm thinking that's calculated by trans or monitoring modules
Correct. Cat Monitoring System gets all trans info from the Trans ECM via data link. Moving the gear lever is an input to the trans ECM. If you can feel/hear the trans physically changing gear and direction, I'd say it's unrelated.

Sensors voltage from main display stays at 8 volts what don't i know about this monitoring system yet
Both quad guage and tacho need 9 +/- .5 volts to work properly. Check you're getting good battery voltage to the main module by back-probing pins #1 and #2 AT the main module, if you're not check the charging system on this machine. If it is, you could have a main module failure. Before replacing it I'd go over that wiring one more time or two between the main module and the gauges.

Also check your multimeter is reading correctly. We're talking .5 volts out of spec here. Have seen cheaper ones reading 2 volts high.

These modules updated many times throughout the G loader production. The later ones had updatable software. So if you replace with new, you're fairly stuck with getting a dealer out to update the software in all the other ECMs to make them talk properly. Alternatively, if you're lucky enough, you could find the exact p/n and configuration (same warning lights) as your old main module and swap it out. Machine hours will stay with the module, keep that in mind also.

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Thanks Chrisso i played swaptronics with the monitoring module and problem went to the spare machine. So it's definitely that module. With ordering one will it come with paper work saying what files to use i have customer version on et and wonder if I can do updates? I can do copy configure programing.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Unfortunately no. When you buy a new module from Cat it'll be unprogrammed, so you'll need an ET version with Winflash to install the latest flash file. Copy config does just that, copies the configuration, not the flash file.

If the failed module is as old as the machine, you're essentially upgrading from an EMS II (preprogrammed) to an EMS III (unprogrammed w/ upgradable software) module. If you give the Parts Interpreters the part number off your old module they will need to do the digging themselves as it's no longer available and has indirect replacements. From what I can see you'll need a new 569-8643 EMS III module (reman option 10R-5895).

As I mentioned if you go down this path you'll most likely need to upgrade the trans and implement ECM software also. Flashing 24yo ECM's (in your case) comes with its own risks.

Hence if you can find an old working module, and the customer doesn't mind the hours changing, it could be an option worth considering. You'll probably get an active SERV CODE due to the hour discrepancy between the modules. Whether the active SERV CODE causes alarms and lights (probably not on G's), that's another gamble.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Chrisso was posting while I was writing.........
I can do copy configure programing.
The issue here is not copying the config over from the old one, which will need to be done, but flashing the software to the replacement ECM.
The Part Number of ECM you are buying (either 172-9389 or 172-9391 I can never remember which one goes in the Power Train and which one goes in the Hydraulics) gets used in 101 different locations. The only thing that identifies it for a specific model is the flash file.
So you will need the dealer to flash the software into the ECM, then you will be able to install the config you pulled from the old one. That is assuming you can communicate with the old one using your cutsomer version of ET and actually suck out a copy of the config.

I have had some success in the past with "Problem" ECMs that have symptoms like the ones you are experiencing simply by re-flashing the software to the ECM. If there is a relatively easy way to do that before forking out $2k for a new ECM I'd suggest giving it a go.
If the failed module is as old as the machine, you're essentially upgrading from an EMS II (preprogrammed) to an EMS III (unprogrammed w/ upgradable software) module.
IIRC it was only the very early 980G machines with S/N under 2KR900 that had the pre-programmed non-flashable ECMs. Yours should have an Series III flashable ECM. Take a look at the Part Niumber stamped on the ECM right next to the two 40-pin connectors. If it is 172-xxxx then the replacement will be the same Part Number that you have now, it hasn't even been CRB with a newer number.

Last edited:

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
I have had some success in the past with "Problem" ECMs that have symptoms like the ones you are experiencing simply by re-flashing the software to the ECM. If there is a relatively easy way to do that before forking out $2k for a new ECM I'd suggest giving it a go.
Good point Nige, I've had success doing also. If indeed it is programable you've got nothing to lose.

IIRC it was only the very early 980G machines with S/N under 2KR1000 that had the pre-programmed ECMs that were non-flashable
I reckon you're right. I just looked, most of the 980Gs I've worked on are all s/n's under 1000

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Update local dealer got us a used one for like $700 it was out of a Rigid frame haul truck. They bench tested and sent new lens sticker customer was happy