• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Model 12 99E Leaking Oil Bad Near Starter

Matt Norman

Hello,
I recently purchased a model 12 99e motor grader. The grader starts and runs good, but after an oil change, it leaks very heavily out of somewhere on the starter side. It appears like it is leaking out of the starter flange, but I'm not sure. I can attach pictures this evening. Any advice on where to start or what to look for. It's leaking about half a gallon per hour.
Thanks

Vetech63

Hello,
I recently purchased a model 12 99e motor grader. The grader starts and runs good, but after an oil change, it leaks very heavily out of somewhere on the starter side. It appears like it is leaking out of the starter flange, but I'm not sure. I can attach pictures this evening. Any advice on where to start or what to look for. It's leaking about half a gallon per hour.
Thanks
Not sure on that engine but some of them were wet housings. Is it engine oil?....or transmission fluid? If its a wet housing engine, it may just need the starter flange gasket. Someone will come along and know if its a wet housing or not.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not sure on that engine but some of them were wet housings. Is it engine oil?....or transmission fluid? If its a wet housing engine, it may just need the starter flange gasket. Someone will come along and know if its a wet housing or not.
I went on SIS and seems many of them, if not all, had pony engines. Hard to be sure without the full S/N!

Bluox

Hello,
Thanks
Is your machine direct start or a starting motor? If a starting motor does it share oil with big motor or does it have it's own sump?
Bob

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I went on SIS and seems many of them, if not all, had pony engines. Hard to be sure without the full S/N!
That should be a D-318 engine, I have seen both starting engines and electric starters on them. I'm not totally sure, but I think the 99E series does have a wet clutch that shares engine oil. I would check the clutch housing for a dipstick and fill port. I have seen numerous oil leaks where somebody replaced a starter without a gasket not knowing about the wet housing.

56wrench

also, if it is a wet clutch, it should have a ' wet' starter with the seal between the drive and the armature to keep the oil out of the main body of the starter

FWD

They had a donkey engine or direct electric. It is a D333 engine. I ran these many years ago and I think I remember checking the oil on the little engine.
FWD

Matt Norman

I believe it is a d 333 engine from my research. The serial number is 99E2345. Does that help anyone? Thanks for everyone's responses. This forum seems like a great community.

Matt Norman

It has an electric start. It has a push button on the side of the canopy area. Idk if was switched over or came with electric start.

Matt Norman

Here are some pics of the grader and where it is leaking around the starter. If its a bad seal, how would I go about finding a replacement?

kshansen

Occupation
Here are some pics of the grader and where it is leaking around the starter. If its a bad seal, how would I go about finding a replacement?

Not sure about anyone else but those pictures don't come through for me. Just the little symbol with the red X through it.
If they are saved as say a .png file format just click on the "UPLOAD A FILE" blue box at the bottom of the box where you reply to this message and select the picture fills and then click on show as full size.

Bluox

If it is leaking around the starter flange between the flywheel housing get a gasket for a wet flywheel ,pull the starter and replace the gasket.
Bob

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I believe it is a d 333 engine from my research. The serial number is 99E2345. Does that help anyone? Thanks for everyone's responses. This forum seems like a great community.
333 will have a long valve cover that covers the entire head. 318 will have 2 valve covers. My bad, I think the 99E did have the 333 engine. I was thinking about the old 14E grader that had both engines depending on it's age.

Matt Norman

I will take off the starter and try to find the correct gasket. image000001.jpg image000003.jpg

Attachments

• image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 49
  • image000000 (2).jpg
    image000000 (2).jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 52

kshansen

Occupation
Haha, its just going to be used around the farm some. No precise work. Does a great job pushing though, if I can just keep it from leaking.
If this helps I did find the part numbers for the gaskets, there are two for the starter. One goes between the adapter and flywheel housing and one between adapter and starter nose.

It took a little digging around as according to SIS that model was standard with the gas starting engine but was available as a direct 24 volt electric start from factory.
Model 12 Grader.png

Also looking at the picture of your starter I see that someone has replaced the starter solenoid with a newer style one. Have to wonder if they did not know the starter was a wet flywheel application and did not replace one or the other of the gaskets when working on the starter.

Back many moons ago the when the local electrical repair shop was just getting going, they are now all over the Eastern State I believe, we had some problems with starters they worked on. see there is an oil seal between the pinion gear area and the electrical area of the motor and they were not too fussy about replacing that seal. It seems they were not aware of wet flywheel designs!

Also had problems with the nose cones for some starters. They often were replaced with nose cones with double sets of bolt holes for mounting to the armature housing to allow one starter to fit more applications. Problem was when used on wet housings they would leak like crazy if no one new about installing the rubber balls in the unused bolt holes!

Guess I got a little of topic but maybe the points will help someone down the road.

Last edited:

Matt Norman

If this helps I did find the part numbers for the gaskets, there are two for the starter. One goes between the adapter and flywheel housing and one between adapter and starter nose.

It took a little digging around as according to SIS that model was standard with the gas starting engine but was available as a direct 24 volt electric start from factory.
View attachment 192376
Wow! Awesome! I think that will help for sure. I will get those 2 gaskets ordered and go from there. Thank you for your time!

kshansen

Occupation
Wow! Awesome! I think that will help for sure. I will get those 2 gaskets ordered and go from there. Thank you for your time!
I did check and while not in stock at my local dealer they are still good numbers and they have them at their main office branch, about $3.75 each.

Then again a little careful work with a Cheerios box and a small ballpeen hammer and "Robert's your Mom's Brother"!