• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT loader engine question

Serv

I found a nice Cat loader with a blown engine. I'm pretty certain things got ugly in there (destroyed crank and at least one rod) so a common inframe overhaul won't cut it in this case. The engine is a 3116 and the loader is ~1993 950F. Does anyone here know if this engine can be sourced out of a road vehicle such as a similar year model medium duty truck or school bus? Or are these engines spec'd out totally different. Please excuse my ignorance on this subject. I'm really interested in hearing people's opinions on this before I put this machine on my radar screen.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Serv, the 3116 was a pretty problem free engine produced up to about 1997 with the last couple of years being in HEUI form at/near 300Hp from memory. 250 Hp was normal for trucks. I think there was 4 different ratings for traction engines..D or E rating around 200 hp for the 950. It was fitted in excavators, track loaders and other equipment. There was modified specs for gensets and marine....you want to stay away from the marine spec.

Any competent diesel workshop can spec the 3116 from the traction series although it may not be cheap. I'd say you have found a good loader with a wrecked engine...what you need to do is find a wrecked machine with a "repairable" engine.:yup

For the life of me I can't remember if this engine made the change (like the 3406) over to the air cooled aftercooler instead of the water cooled. I think the gensets I used to look after where watercooled.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
The 3116 really isn't a good engine I would try find a running loader because you may end up spending more money fixing up the loader with a dead engine over buying another one.

The 3306 wouldn't fit the 3126 (C7) is all electronic. I think the 3116 is a throwaway block it doesn't have any liners so you need to try sleeve it.

Here is a picture

Attachments

• 000_1020Cat3116 (3).jpg
    000_1020Cat3116 (3).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,340

Serv

Serv, the 3116 was a pretty problem free engine produced up to about 1997 with the last couple of years being in HEUI form at/near 300Hp from memory. 250 Hp was normal for trucks. I think there was 4 different ratings for traction engines..D or E rating around 200 hp for the 950. It was fitted in excavators, track loaders and other equipment. There was modified specs for gensets and marine....you want to stay away from the marine spec.

Any competent diesel workshop can spec the 3116 from the traction series although it may not be cheap. I'd say you have found a good loader with a wrecked engine...what you need to do is find a wrecked machine with a "repairable" engine.:yup

For the life of me I can't remember if this engine made the change (like the 3406) over to the air cooled aftercooler instead of the water cooled. I think the gensets I used to look after where watercooled.

Thanks. I did some asking around today. It seems all 3116 shortblocks are the same. Could that be wrong? I'm guessing the HP ratings and specs vary with injectors, pump, accessories etc.

The 3116 really isn't a good engine I would try find a running loader because you may end up spending more money fixing up the loader with a dead engine over buying another one.

The 3306 wouldn't fit the 3126 (C7) is all electronic. I think the 3116 is a throwaway block it doesn't have any liners so you need to try sleeve it.

Here is a picture

Thanks for the info. I'm not in the market for a loader, just trying to figure out a dollar value of this tractor I was offered in "as is, make offer" condition. I honestly don't think I could afford to even look at this machine if it were in running condition. :D The owner may want more than I would ever pay in broken condition but you never know.

Rock & Dirt has a number of machinery salvage companies they list that might help you find one.

I found a good rebuilder/core on ebay last night. Looks cheap enough!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cat-Caterpillar...ryZ33615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Serv

here's the obligatory pics of the machine

Attachments

• 950.jpg
    950.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 926
  • 950-2.jpg
    950-2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 909

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Serv, Our sister Co has a 1994 3116 with 13,000 hrs on it at it still runs beautifully. Its a 160 hp model in a loader.

AFAIK The blocks are the same until you get up to the late model HEUI engines.

I can't offer advice on the price but its not worth much as is. The 950 is a very popular loader down here and they consistently bring good money. I assume you would flip it so picking it up at a bargain price is essential. Not knowing the exact condition of the engine is difficult but for decision purposes I'd research based on the engine being changed out for a 2nd hand runner.

You need to know what the loader would bring all up and running in good condition...how much you can pick up a good running engine for...and how much other stuff you need to do.

Good Luck

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
depending on what your going to do with it, you may be better off to take this loader and fix it up. The only problem is that you wont know what the condition of the tranny, differentials, and all that are untill you put a expensive motor in and crank it over.

dayexco

serv, you s.o.b....you get all these good loader deals..i was very interested in the 644 until you went and stuck a bunch of money into it.....how much for this cat? a machine like that serves 2 purposes...#1. i can keep several guys in my shop winter months fixing something we can use the next seasons......#2. i can save a buncha money!!!!:) :) :)

Serv

I can't offer advice on the price but its not worth much as is.

That's exactly what I want to hear. :D

The only problem is that you wont know what the condition of the tranny, differentials, and all that are untill you put a expensive motor in and crank it over.

You're right and this company is very hard on their stuff. This loader looked pretty nice and they want to sell it as is. Being it's on the side of a busy hwy, they tell me I'm not the only one that's stopped by to ask about it. :cool:

serv, you s.o.b....you get all these good loader deals..i was very interested in the 644 until you went and stuck a bunch of money into it.....how much for this cat? a machine like that serves 2 purposes...#1. i can keep several guys in my shop winter months fixing something we can use the next seasons......#2. i can save a buncha money!!!!:) :) :)

There's no deal on this Cat yet! Just trying to educate myself on it and it's powerplant.

That 644E is still right where I found it. I haven't spent more than 20 bucks on it so far other than buying it. Someone yanked the second battery and "converted" it to a one battery setup. :rolleyes: I went to go start it yesterday and it wouldn't crank over fast enough to fire up. Also I popped off the turbo inlet hose and the turbo was seized. So today, I'm hitting up a semi-truck junk yard to find some good copper cable and going to convert it back to a two battery system and see what it does. It looks like it's going to need some doing to get it going.

Now that I've been paying attention, there's more stuff junked out in and around my town than I ever thought. I found an old gasoline dump truck for cheap, a couple excavators and a scraper or two that are all just sitting for little or no reason at all. Now all I need is more $ to buy and time to fix some of this stuff. Wanna buy an old Komatsu loader with a new paint job? :D

Here's some pics from the last couple of days. :cool2

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/sy733/conquests/

cat320

Charter Member
alot of stuff out your way to fix. I guess the trick is to get something that needs work but not to much like the komatsu . that gas dump looks like it pretty good except for not having glass.

Serv

alot of stuff out your way to fix. I guess the trick is to get something that needs work but not to much like the komatsu .

I haven't even scratched the surface. From what I understand, there's alot of stuff around due to the shortage of independant mechanics. The dealership's charge too much money for the small guys to afford and nobody else wants to get their hands dirty. :beatsme

that gas dump looks like it pretty good except for not having glass.

I gave the guy 1500 bucks for it. It's a 1979 and he handed me a receipt for a 1900 dollar rebuild on the big block chevy motor. believe it or not, he parked it just after the rebuild. It's been sitting for around 4 years since. Little rust around the cab, but other than that, I couldn't see any other major faults. I haven't fired it up yet. I plan to give it a weekend paint job soon. People around here must have a thing for breaking glass. :rolleyes: Speaking of glass, we put the needed glass in the komatsu yesterday.

stevinmonteur

Occupation
mechanic
I found a good rebuilder/core on ebay last night. Looks cheap enough!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cat-Caterpillar...ryZ33615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/QUOTE

Be carefull. The engine had a broken (= fallen down ) valve, always replace the piston because it might be cracked near the pistonpin.
The first 3116 had some trouble like broken turbo-shafts, broken exhaustbolts, oilleaks ( camshaftcovers, govner, oilcooler and near the oilpressure sender), broken valves and leaking injectorbushings.
The later 3116 MUI are good engines when good maintainaned ( change oil regular, adjust valves and injectors every 1000 hours) and a good quality fuel.
They run 14 to 16.000 hrs.

marco