• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat It 28f Question

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
hey does anybody have any specs or know where i can find specs on a cat IT28F series. are the f series and g series the same spec wise? what years were they produced? and does anybody have an idea of a price on one of these used? thanks guys

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I can get you very... rough specs. The IT28F is one of the few pieces of Cat literature that I don't have in my rather large collection.

The F-to-G transition comes with a powerplant update and some more power on the front end.

Brief specs:

F: made between '93 and '96, 125 horsepower. Approx. weight of 25,200 pounds; bucket rated at 2.6 yds with a breakout force of 21,700 pounds. (Do you need dimensional specs, too?)

G: Made between '02-'04, 146 horsepower, 27,860 pounds. Same size bucket but 23,437 pounds of breakout force.

Width, ground clearance, dump clearance, and travel speeds all increased; the max reach decreased.

Let me know if you need anything else -- I may be able to dig it up for you. Edit: I don't know anything about price, unfortunately... you may want to check out Ironplanet or MachineryTrader.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I want to edit my previous statement -- the Cat Performance Handbook shows that the horsepower increases from 125 to 146 as we go from 28F to 28G. However, the specalog I have for the 28G says horsepower stayed at 125. It's possible that either the handbook is wrong or that there was also a G-update -- honestly, I don't remember which is the case. The 928 family went through a bunch of changes as the years progressed, so it's possible the Handbook is correct, but just an fyi.

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
i used the brother in-law's it 28g for loading a 1000 tons of scrap metal on e winter. very impressed with the machine on lift capablities. we did a lot of snow removal too that winter. very good vision from the cab. they start very good in cold weather and very fuel good usage. everyone thinks they are a light duty machine but i was very impressed with it. i would like to buy a it 28g as my next loader.

hope this helps.

thansk

Lashlander

i used the brother in-law's it 28g for loading a 1000 tons of scrap metal on e winter. very impressed with the machine on lift capablities. we did a lot of snow removal too that winter. very good vision from the cab. they start very good in cold weather and very fuel good usage. everyone thinks they are a light duty machine but i was very impressed with it. i would like to buy a it 28g as my next loader.

hope this helps.

thansk

Isn't that a little too new for your liking?:bouncegri :bouncegri

Lashlander

:thumbsup Alright! Its good to have a goal. :bouncegri

I've enjoyed your posts on SFT for a long while now.
Have a good day.

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
thanks guys for all your help. a buddy of mine his father is looking at purschasing a wheel loader for there farm i guess he found an it 28 f series reativley cheap and the only books i had were on the g series and the 902 -908 series.tiger where can i get a performance handbook, do they list all the older equipment or just the recent models.thanks

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
The specs I gave you were all they listed, because my Handbooks don't go back far enough.

I originally had a Edition 28, which likely would have contained full specs on the 28F, but was silly enough to... replaced it (Fine! I threw it away. :( ) when I got Edition 29.

Your local Cat dealer (or anyone who's got contacts there) will likely have Edition 28 or 27. I'm guessing 28 contains the 28F data; if it doesn't, 27 should.