1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cat Haul Trucks with Bottom Dumps

Discussion in 'Other Earthmoving Equipment' started by 992G, Nov 27, 2008.

1. diggerop

diggerop Well-Known Member

Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
    How about a 777 pulling 450 ton, the excavator is about 350-360 and the trailer 100 ton:eek:

Attached Files:

2. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager

That's Ok...we'll see if we can noodle through this. The easiest way to post pics is to have the pics saved on you PC, either in My Documents, My Pictures, or even Desktop, doesn't really matter, just a place that's easy to find them.

Let's say your reading a thread, and want to make a post with pic.

Click the blue Post Reply button on the left just below the last post on the thread, not the Post Quick Reply button.

Now your looking at the "Reply to Thread" page. Look at the Icons on the toolbar and you'll see a white Smiley about the middle of the toolbar. Just to the right of the Smiley is an icon that looks like a paper clip, click on the paper clip. That will open the Manage Attachments window in a seperate window.

Click on the top "Browse" button (this opens the "My Pictures" folder on my computer). Scroll through the pics and left double click on the pic you want. This will put the pic on the Browse bar back at the Manange Attachments window. You can go ahead click the other two Browse buttons and add two more pics if you like. Once you have the pics loaded on the Browse bars, click the Upload button to the right of the Browse buttons. After a moment, you'll see an icon appear to the left of the "Remove" button signifying the attachment has been downloaded. Click "Close this window". That takes you back to the Reply page.

Click on the paper clip icon again. Click on the attachment in the drop down window. If you downloaded multiple attachments, click on "insert all". You will now see the attachments on the Reply page. You can go down to the bottom of the page and click the "Preview Post" button and see what your post will look like before you submit your post. :)

3. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

That is a whole different ballgame there. I was talking about a rule of thumb for production work.

Heavy haul is completely different rules. Speeds are much slower, and care is taken with every load, or at least it should be.

For material haulers, double the trucks normal capacity is the general rule with a trailer, but there are always exceptions.
    On long flat hauls, double trailers, each at near double the prime movers capacity as a truck is acceptable. Add some hills, and that option goes away quick.

I do like the oversize lowboy though. Saves a lot of time and track wear.

ATCO

Good instructions. I hope Frank gets it figured out, it sounds like he has some good stuff to share.

4. willie59

willie59 Super Moderator

Service Manager
    Yeah man...we are kinda picture freaks around here. :D

5. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

While I am on this thread, I remembered I just downloaded some pics of a 769C pulling a 70 ton Challenge Cook Brothers belly dump, with sideboards it goes 80+ ton. Note that the fenders, mud guards, and rock kickers are not yet installed, as it just got hitched up in these pictures.

Attached Files:

6. ts-24 frank

ts-24 frank Well-Known Member

retired trucker-part time bus driver
  7. ts-24 frank

ATCO equipment; thank you for sending this i just went through this with help and tried and it seemed to worked great. the firet is possibly a 37ldt-1958 bottom dump,a little different from the bottom dumps in bethlem this one is on 611 in the quarry in warminister pa 2nd 2 ts-24s from morrissey yard in philly 3rd- back shot of a couple of cat scrapers. if all goes through i have quite a few more to share. thank you again for the help. this is to anyone out there looking for big THOMIS M. DURKIN if you see it anywhere please post, i have been told he has large pieces working in western pa. thank you again for youre help ATCO. ts-24 frank

8. B&S Grading

B&S Grading Member

School, And Grading
    Belly Dumps Are Awesome...I Think You Can Get Them Standard From Cat Like That Now...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2009
  9. Andy512

Andy512 Member

These are available from most Cat dealers also. 200 to 300 ton range. Primarily open pit coal mining. 45 mph top speed. Usually long hauls from pit to stockpile.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      62.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      45.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      49.3 KB
      Views:
  10. cat345bl

cat345bl Well-Known Member

Trucking Industry
    Cool pictures frank, Looks like you took those pics in 2008 because now in 2009 morrissey has about 2-3 rows of their cement mixers blocking those ts-24 with the overhead rops on them.

Durkin is still in business they just moved there yard to some where in bucks county I don't where, but that's what I've been told.

jdm21.jpg

jdm90.jpg

11. rigandig

rigandig Well-Known Member

Those haul trucks are not manufactured by Cat. The engine and drive train are cat, but the rest is manufactured by Kress Mfg. They are located just a bit west of Peoria. A friend of mine has hauled each one that has been made for several years now, from the factory to the port or the mine sites here in N America. I think he told me a week or so ago that he was loading one this month. When they are moved from the factory they have no axles under them. I think I have a picture or two of one that he hauled to Savannah for export.

Attached Files:

12. ben46a

ben46a Senior Member

Is it just me or does it look top heavy on that float?

13. ts-24 frank

hay cat345bl; nice shots you have i will try to put more on another day or so.i would love to find out where in bucks county DURKIN is at never see any of there trucks any where. wonder why all the secrecy with them they used to have some big dozers with rippers, funny never thought to take pictures before, what a huge mistake. thanks for youre info. ts-24 frank

14. alco

alco Senior Member

I don't think he was trying to say that Cat makes them, just that they are available from some Cat dealers.

Nice pictures by the way!

Brian

15. rigandig

Alco, I think you're right. I think that Cat does market them for Kress and also carries the warranty for the Cat furnished parts.
    Ben 46, Yes, it does look top heavy and probably is. Those trailers are for use at the ship yards only. Unloaded form road trailer, put on "MAFI" trailer, loaded on ship, off loaded at destination port, and they are transferred back onto a road trailer for the trip to destinantion.

16. Andy512

Andy512 Member

In-transit pics.

Attached Files:

17. rigandig

Thanks for that post Andy.

18. LuNaTIcFrEAk

LuNaTIcFrEAk Member

Here is an interesting setup for you guys.
    Three bottom dump trailers full of salt pulled by and old Dart.

Attached Files:

19. WColtharp

WColtharp Well-Known Member

Now that's a new one to me. I had salt was stripped/excavated this way. That's a cool setup there.

20. ts-24 frank

cat 345bl; i ran down that info you gave me on the ts-24's. i contacted DURKIN by email and explained my reasions for wanting to take pix, being a member of the HISTORICAL CONSTRUCTION EQUIP ASSOCIATION and how these pieces are a part of our history and that i will be in the Mont Pocono area end of november and asked to be allowed to stop by and introduce myself for pix's, but no responce yet. i also tracked down MILLER paving and he actually returned my phone call, i was thrilled he said i could come to his new yard above Doylestown and take some pictures and how he is a member of the HCEA also and feels that the equip is worth saving in photos also. i am going to try and stop at Morrissey's snyderville sand pit and get pix of the ts-14's that week also. i stoped at the place you told me about by Oxfordvally Mall and found the scrapers there, it is CVA'S yard and one of the mechanics told me last yr they scraped the ts-24's but had an ts-18 and a 14 there but when i saw the yard boss in the trailer ( man with white hair and a mustach ) he told me after i just about begged and showed him pix i had he flat out told me no, i got in my truck and came back and asked to just shoot one shot of one sitting 14 i came a long ways for this, and he told me he would mind if i did. verry visitor unfriendly, and they were just sitting there. finally i stoped at Dinuccie on Oldrodgers rd and spoke to a women in the office who said she thinks they still have there ts-24's sitting somewhere and would have the owner call me back, but no responce. i am going to keep trying. to ATCOEQUIP thank you for the help with posting the pix's it did work i will pit more on later. thanks to both you guys for youre help, love this Forum. ts-24 frank