• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat ET alternatives? Just want to read sensor data!

fastline

You bet! But the link no worky if there is one? Love to just find some PDFs of what i need but always gotta watch the online sources. Also not sure how many manuals exist for this machine? I recall when I got books for a 200 series, it was like 10 books! A guy said "I will send what I have" and I needed a forklift for them....lol

But I most certainly NEED books! I was just trying to figure out if this AC system is TXV or orifice tube. Just working blind here.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
When I've seen people working on the A/C units, they had the seat out and all the panels removed to expose the components. The biggest issue I've heard of is dirt in the actuators from not ever cleaning or replacing the cab filters.

fastline

Yup, when I did the cab cleanout on this one, that filter appeared to be a forgotten soul. Getting to that system does not look fun at all so trying to decide if I try it this winter or just wait for spring. I know when I had to take a couple side panels off to fix the monitor, I got rather pissed with that setup.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
I have had several out over the years. Most are always full of mud. Seems like the cab filters always get neglected. It is a pain in the butt job. But once done will be good for many years.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have had several out over the years. Most are always full of mud. Seems like the cab filters always get neglected. It is a pain in the butt job. But once done will be good for many years.
........??? We change fresh air cab filters every 250 hours and recirc filters every 500 hours. It isn't that dusty here and they always come out well dirty.
Yup, when I did the cab cleanout on this one, that filter appeared to be a forgotten soul.
You do realize that there are two filters in that system I hope..... one outside and one inside the cab.

upload_2020-12-21_17-7-13.png

Last edited:

fastline

Well since they made the fresh air filter so fun, I can see why they get ignored! Remove the pump controller just to get to it!

Cmark

There's actually a door on the back of the cab, secured with one bolt and a hinge which is pretty easy to get to. You may find however that the filter isn't too dirty as the seals aren't worth a carrot.

fastline

There's actually a door on the back of the cab, secured with one bolt and a hinge which is pretty easy to get to. You may find however that the filter isn't too dirty as the seals aren't worth a carrot.

There is only one louvered panel on the back of the cab that is roughly 4" wide and 12" tall. I first guessed the top bolt was all it had and the bottom "probably" just had a tab. Nope, there is a bolt I cannot even see and barely touch with my hand on the bottom. Only way to access it is remove the controller. I mean, I could probably get creative BUT what was CAT thinking here?

fastline

You do realize that there are two filters in that system I hope..... one outside and one inside the cab.

View attachment 230471

Yes, I already got to the interior filter. It looked as people have imagined.

Nige, if you have a page link on that attachment, that would be super! That things does not look fun and if I have an evaporator issue, it looks like pulling the lines, then the entire unit is the only play.

Cmark

There is only one louvered panel on the back of the cab that is roughly 4" wide and 12" tall. I first guessed the top bolt was all it had and the bottom "probably" just had a tab. Nope, there is a bolt I cannot even see and barely touch with my hand on the bottom. Only way to access it is remove the controller. I mean, I could probably get creative BUT what was CAT thinking here?

That's the one. If you remove the top bolt, it should hinge forward enough to remove the filter. The hinge might be rusted solid.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nige, if you have a page link on that attachment, that would be super! That things does not look fun and if I have an evaporator issue, it looks like pulling the lines, then the entire unit is the only play.
Now if you had an O&M manual the procedure would be right there for you ............:rolleyes:

If you need to remove the complete HVAC unit .............

Attachments

• Fresh air filter.pdf
    137.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Remove HVAC Unit.pdf
    969 KB · Views: 3

fastline

This Cat was last on the list today but I got a chance you get the vac pump on it, everything pulled down and held good. Then threw 12oz in it to see what it does. Compressor pulls right down which means it is likely a good one, and I can hear the evap drinking it up. When I got to the system, there was not even a glimmer of pressure in it. I expected a big leak but seems this one might need the sniffer.