• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Electronic technician

qwikDraw

Occupation
Heavy Mowing, Mulching, Land Clearing
I am getting an alarm on a Supertrak SK140 CTL-C. It does not show on the Supertrak console so it must be in the Cat computer.

I would like to purchase a diagnostic computer like:

http://www.obd2be.com/cat-et-communication-adapter-p-63.html

I have found a few different type and am not sure of which unit I should get. I'm not looking to reprogram anything, just read the codes and fix the problems.

Any suggestions?

faiscamix

That is a nice question. I'm also seeing what to buy for diagnostic of heavy machinery on general. If i will see something nice i will post.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Your problem is not so much the Cat Communications Adapter but with getting hold of a genuine version of the ET software that is required to communicate with the various Electronic Controls Modules (ECMs) on any Cat machine or engine. ET is only sold by Cat dealers - after installing it on your PC and before it can be used "in anger" it needs to be licensed. This can only be done by the dealer who sold the particular copy of the software in the first place. As far as I'm aware, installing the software in your PC generates a random 20-digit License Code, a bit like a piece of Microsoft software. With that code and the details of the Serial Number of the PC on which the software is installed (a single copy of ET is only licensed for use on a single PC) the Cat system generates a 24-digit License Key. When that key is entered into a space in the licensing screen and you click the "Authorize" key, your ET software is fully functional.

I've seen a lot of places offer to sell ET software along with the License Key needed to use it, but I have no idea how good a solution this would be because AFAIK (as explained above) the licensing process does not work that way.

Just as an aside the photo in your link does not accurately represent the latest version of the Comms Adapter. The one showed in the photo is a 171-4400 Comms Adapter 2, the latest version is the 317-7484 Comms Adapter 3. Something also appears to be weird about the price because the latest version of the Comms Adapter sells for around $1000 give or take from a Cat dealer, the Comms Adapter 2 was almost the same price. So the question is how these guys can sell what is allegedly the genuine article for half the price. That does not make sense to me.

Ross

IIRC the CPU serial number needs to be sent away. The license will come back configured to that PC. The only way to have ET on a laptop .. Av tried and failed in the past to configure it on a personal machine.

You are better off with a COM 2 as the COM III's tend to loose conection and will blank an ECM if flashing.

TBH I wouldnt buy the set up linked .. The only set ups worth buying are Laptops with this software already installed.

kbeen

qwikDraw did you end up purchasing the Cat ET OBD 2be ? i am looking into wanting to get something aftermarket and came across this thread. just wandering if it does what you are wanting to do. thank you