• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat E240 broken gears

Tysonsk

I have a cat E240 and was having starter problems. When I pulled the starter off and the flywheel housing was full of pieces of what looks to be plastic and metal gears. "Not the flywheel itself"
Wich kept the starter gear engaged and burnt it out. I am wondering what the broken chunks of gears are in the housing. I will attach a couple photos. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20181211_141923.jpg
    MVIMG_20181211_141923.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:

skadill

The rubber would be the engine to pump drive coupler.It is a rubber spider that fits between the flywheel and pump input shaft,reduces shock and vibration.When they get worn,a vibration can be felt in the machine when running.

Bluox

Call your Cat dealer and check price on a classic coupling kit ,will have every thing you will need.
Bob

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Do you have a photo of the machine S/No plate as well..?
Normally with the engine S/N I can find a machine S/N, but not in this case.
There are 4 possibilities of machine S/N prefix for that engine number - 2RL, 5WG, 8SF, & 9PK. There are minor differences between the individual parts of the coupling between the 4 machine groups, and that being the case I wouldn't like to post up a parts list I was not 100% certain of.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It's a gray market machine. Find a serial number for a machine that was made for North America and hope that those parts will fit.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
John, the Parts Listings I have are all for grey market machines. Every one is XJBPxxxx signfiying Japan-built.
The problem is that the parts for the pump coupling are not 100% common across all 4 models of E240B & E240C where the OP's engine could be installed

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The machine was stated as an E240 with no modifier on the model. They were also sold as Mitsubishi and MDI/Yutani. I believe all those excavators were Japan built and were the joint venture at that time with Mitsubishi. The issue is if they are gray market, the Cat dealers in North America will not support them with parts and usually not even service personnel. That's why I suggested trying to identify a North American serial number and take your chances from there.