• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat drive issues

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Well, i brought home a ‘15 259d that needs some love...
Possible head/gasket, which I’m not too concerned about doing, but could use some torque figures and assembly process...(cat wants how much for their service manuals?!)

What I do need some help figuring out is the travel issues:
2 speed isn’t functioning... it stumbles/hesitates a bit when I switch to 2speed but it never actually engages.
When I do try to go back and forth between speeds it will start to track to the left or right slowly but when I wiggle joystick it corrects and tracks straight.
Machine has a handful of stored codes/events but no active codes.
Will be removing tracks to get to speed sensors as soon as I can get free time.

also, how do I tell if it’s a high flow unit?... aside from the sticker

edit: serial # ftl08367

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It was actually built in March 2016, not that it matters much. The Serial Number is the one to go on regarding Parts & Service information anyway.

It is High Flow. HF is part of the 467-8084 Hydraulic Arrgt listed on the original build spec.

How much were you quoted for a Service Manual.?
A new genuine original (UENR3725) is available on CD for $600. With dealer tech labour currently @ $150/hr I'd say that was good value, plus if you ever sell the machine you could always sell the manual separately and get your money back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UENR3725-C...D-Factory-Repair-Service-Manual-/303480272024

Attachments

• FTL08367.pdf
    80.6 KB · Views: 12

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Tracking issue could likely be a dodgy/sticking position sensor in the joystick.
If you want an electrical schematic just ask.
Thanks, I would definitely appreciate any schematics you might have!
And nice to know it’s a year newer I guess... California air board has it registered as a ‘15 model with a ‘16 motor... I thought that was funny!
And I’ll probably end up with a cat manual... just more $$

LEGO

Occupation
Diesel tech
Well, i brought home a ‘15 259d that needs some love...
Possible head/gasket, which I’m not too concerned about doing, but could use some torque figures and assembly process...(cat wants how much for their service manuals?!)

What I do need some help figuring out is the travel issues:
2 speed isn’t functioning... it stumbles/hesitates a bit when I switch to 2speed but it never actually engages.
When I do try to go back and forth between speeds it will start to track to the left or right slowly but when I wiggle joystick it corrects and tracks straight.
Machine has a handful of stored codes/events but no active codes.
Will be removing tracks to get to speed sensors as soon as I can get free time.

also, how do I tell if it’s a high flow unit?... aside from the sticker

edit: serial # ftl08367
I got a machine in the shop two months ago with a similar issue regarding the rabbit mode/second speed, that when activated would pull to the right and when deactivated would pull to the left. But the skid steer had an issue because there was brass in the system. Have you checked your hydraulic oil filter for excessive metal/brass? Could be an issue with one of the pumps

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
I got a machine in the shop two months ago with a similar issue regarding the rabbit mode/second speed, that when activated would pull to the right and when deactivated would pull to the left. But the skid steer had an issue because there was brass in the system. Have you checked your hydraulic oil filter for excessive metal/brass? Could be an issue with one of the pumps
I haven’t started to get into it yet... but I hope the pumps are ok.
Seems like the seals are toast in the right side final... hoping that’s what the issue is.
Where is a good place to rebuild final drives?

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Thanks, Nige, about what I was expecting.
Now the question: do I replace both just to be safe or roll the dice and only replace the one side?

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
That's above my pay grade.
For others to offer opinions - How many hours on the machine..?
1900hrs.
my vote is replace just the one side and try to ignore my OCD about it

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
i would check for metal in the oil, and get a oil sample done, if it has metal in oil / bad oil sample / motor problems [ you are looking at big money ] you might take it to an auction and walk a way

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
i would check for metal in the oil, and get a oil sample done, if it has metal in oil / bad oil sample / motor problems [ you are looking at big money ] you might take it to an auction and walk a way
Yep... going to add all the repairs up and make a decision... maybe CAT takes trade ins

LEGO

Occupation
Diesel tech
Yep... going to add all the repairs up and make a decision... maybe CAT takes trade ins
Yes they do take trade ins, but keep in mind that they will have a tech look over everything on the machine, and will deduct any major issues from the trade in value, but, yes sometimes it will be more cost effective to just replace the one drive motor that has failed instead of both. Hope this info helps.