1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Dealers

Discussion in 'In the Office' started by Queenslander, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Queenslander

Queenslander Senior Member

Blew a hydraulic hose on the 140H the other day.
    Looked on parts store, and dealer will make one up for $122.47 but it would have meant waiting nearly 24 hours to get it up overnight by courier.
    Decided to rip into town and get one made up by Enzed. (national hose doctor franchise)
    The price of convenience?... $263.32 plus $2.00 for the o rings.

2. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

I prefer Serviceman, which is what Cat used to call us. I introduce myself as a mechanic. They call me a Technician on my pay stub and in the company directory and that’s about the only two places I hear the term

I try my hardest to be well rounded on both electronic and hard skills.

3. typ4

typ4 Well-Known Member

Equipment mechanic for a small company.
    Not true, A mechanic can be a technician. A technician can almost never be a true "mechanic".
    Pet peeve of mine.
    Refer to 6V92 post LOL

old-iron-habit and RZucker like this.
  4. typ4

typ4 Well-Known Member

Equipment mechanic for a small company.
    THIS over and over^^^^^^^^^

5. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    I am a Cat guy, that's pretty well know on the forums. The reason I prefer Cat is 70% dealer and 30% Cat. The construction/excavation business is basically the same wherever you are located and for the most part modern equipment is all on the same playing field minus a few shady manufacturers.

What makes the end user like myself - the ones that depend on their iron to put food on the table - is the support that backs up the sale. A great piece of iron at a great initial purchase price is very expensive when you can't get parts or service when it breaks down and they all break down.:cool:

My Cat salesman, Rental store salesman and PSR have went to the bat for us many, many times with Cat corporate and within their own organization. Most parts are available when I walk in the door or next day from Atlanta. Sometimes we have to wait a couple of days for some odd ball parts on some of our older equipment but I'm OK with that.

Just my local $.02, your milage may vary.

6. Nige

Nige Senior Member

And there, in a nutshell, is the difference. Customer support rather than "The Brand" itself.....
    Even different branches of the same dealer can have different levels of support because at the end of the days Customer Support is based on people rather than "systems" or "process".
    Many times I can recall customers bursting our salesmens' bubbles by telling them it was neither price nor the availability of a suitable machine that just got their business, it was the "Guys who'll look after it after we've bought it"............