• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D7F will not lift blade

Bluox

Can anyone confirm if this is actually a good number for the hydraulic tank group? I need to identify the gasket for the access plate that I removed to look at the valve.
Your the one reading it ,again a 35H is a 173B 3 valve hyd group.
That number is all Cat needs for parts.
Bob

Last edited:

Old Magnet

Cover plate gasket is a 5J3140
Causes for excessive lift cylinder drift:
1. Worn piston seal rings
2. Worn spool valve
3. Lift circuit make-up valves not seating
4. 0-ring seal failure in circuit
5. Worn bypass valves in lift cylinder pistons
The fact that the problem is intermittent would lead me to check the make-up valve seating and the operation of check valves in the control valve.

Also the main relief valve (pilot operated) protects both the lift and ripper circuits which may explain the influence on both circuits although that seems like a long shot.

Last edited:

Mobilewrench

Cover plate gasket is a 5J3140
Causes for excessive lift cylinder drift:
1. Worn piston seal rings
2. Worn spool valve
3. Lift circuit make-up valves not seating
4. 0-ring seal failure in circuit
5. Worn bypass valves in lift cylinder pistons
The fact that the problem is intermittent would lead me to check the make-up valve seating and the operation of check valves in the control valve.

Also the main relief valve (pilot operated) protects both the lift and ripper circuits which may explain the influence on both circuits although that seems like a long shot.
Hey, thanks. I am sorry for the delay. Somehow the forum didn't let me know about the new reply.

Mobilewrench

Piston seals had nice protrusion. So 1 is off the table.
Worn spool valve makes sense. But it doesn't seem to explain the reverse operation of the lift function when the ripper is held in relief.
Actually, nothing does. I have gone through the schematics and theories of operation a bunch of times and can't get my head around how there could be any crossover between the two valves. I am starting to question whether the guy I had operating the machine actually had the levers in the right directions.
I agree that the relief valve is a long shot. One relief, two circuits. One circuit has a problem.
I was starting to toy with the idea of the make up valves. I don't know how to test them. Same for the bypass valves.
I am just not sure what to do next. It seems like any further testing means that I need to reseal the hydraulic tank. And it looks like I need to pull the tank apart to look at the rest of the likely problem.