• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6H "series 2" ??

Kevin Cohrs

Looking to purchase a Cat dozer. Ive found one that is just a D6H and another is listed as a "series 2"... Anybody know what the difference might be? Thanks

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Do you have S/N's? that would help anyone who wanted to give detailed information on the way they left the factory.

I just for fun put D6H in SIS2.0 and there might be two dozen different Prefixes alone for that model. Also just because someone posted one as being a D6H and someone else put the Series II on the end for all you know they could be identical and just the way someone wrote it up.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The D6H is probably the model in the Cat tractor range that has the most (over 30) S/N prefixes.
Series II came after Series I (which was never badged that way, just plain D6H) so would obviously be newer but that doesn't necessarily mean much, a machine of that age condition is more important than build year. There must have been some quite substantial differences otherwise it would not have been eleigible for the Series II designation. IIRC a model has to have a minimum of X % of changes over the previous model before it qualifies for Series II status. Series III was the last produced.

As KSH mentioned above the only way to tell if the decal is genuine is by the Serial Number. As far as I can see only 2DK, 8SK, & 9RK machines were built as Series II but there may have been others badged XR or XL built in the same time frame

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've seen plenty of auction and private seller machines that had the Series II decal installed just to make the machine advertise better than what it really is.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I've seen plenty of auction and private seller machines that had the Series II decal installed just to make the machine advertise better than what it really is.
Also recall seeing someone on this forum posting pictures of machines at an auction that had Cat decals on them that were very obviously not Cat machines!

Welder Dave

I remember the MF dozer, think it was an MF300 with Cat stickers on it. Also seems pretty common to put newer model stickers on older machines.