• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6D drive problem

Rdowling

I have a 1980 D6D that runs well. Have not had any issues. Lately I can run for a couple of hours and unit will go to a crawl and eventually stop. Can idle a few minutes and it will move again but not at full speed. Engine rpms and hydraulics are all still operating normal. Need some guidance on what the problem could be.

RDowling

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Oh Yes! A good project in the works here! We were all just complaining about the lack of major disasters lately.

Your gonna need to start by checking pressures. Top of transmission filter in engine compartment, small plug, should be at least 300psi hot. No then under your left foot on the deck open the trap door and take the magnetic filter out.

Bluox

Assuming you have a power shift machine
Transmission pump oil pressure hot 330-375 psi.
Tap on transmission filter on left side of engine next to dip stick.
If a direct drive adjust clutch.
Bob

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
And just to be safe I'll suggest posting a full serial number!

Unless the FBI is looking for the machine, then just the first few numbers and letter will probably be good!:D

Rdowling

Ok guys. I changed the filter next to the engine and cleaned the screen and magnets. Ran over 3 hours before stopping to refuel and have not had any issues yet.

GODSDOZER

Occupation
Dirt Contractor
my D6d was doing exactly what you are describing. Sent it to a shop this winter. they checked all pressures and they were in specs. They said they took some type of screen off of the transmission and found some trash in it. Said they couldn't find anything else wrong but couldn't guarantee that was/is the issue. It has been sitting at my yard since the repair and haven't ran it yet to verify if it is fixed.

P.s I think the screen was on the suction side ? Not sure. they said it look like brake band or sterring clutch material. I had my brake bands and steering clutches replaced last year because they were worn out.

Dave Neubert

I had a customer with one it would run a wile then quit I found the suction hose clamps were loose and sucking air tightened them up and it worked after that