1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

CAT d6c serial number stamp

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Tommyc, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Member

I have read some threads on here about serial number locations etc, however I have just bought a d6c and the serial number stamp at the rear is rubbed off because the ripper frame has been used for a while with lose bolts. Engine serial plate says 73a193 but doesn’t seem to work when searched on sis etc. I found a 575 number that’s it. Please help

Attached Files:

2. Old Magnet

Old Magnet Senior Member

73A is the Australian equivalent if a US 76A

3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    That machine of yours is too old to be in SIS.
    From that era the machine S/N and engine S/N will be the same.
    You'll need either access to the old Cat microfiche or a paper/CD parts manual. I can see one for 76A1-6061 that might suit your machine.

upload_2022-9-4_13-4-56.png

BerricoBeef likes this.
  4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Another possible route to get information would be to register on ACMOC - https://www.acmoc.org/
    They do have branches in Australia and their library contains a mountain of parts & service information on older machinery.

BerricoBeef likes this.
  5. Tommyc

Tommyc Member

Thank you. I thought maybe the engine could have been changed so I removed ripper frame to double check the serial number that is stamped on the frame. I am getting the feeling that parts could be an issue, that might explain the cheap price

6. Nige

Nige Senior Member

That's a possibility I had not considered.
    From your first photo the machine S/N could possibly be 73A575.?

7. nicky 68a

nicky 68a Senior Member

For what it’s worth,I had D6C 83A 400.
    It was the UK equivalent to your 73A I think.It was a 1966 built tractor

balls2go likes this.
  8. Bluox

Bluox Senior Member

Look on the left side of the tractor between the 2 studs in the picture with the rags, kinda looks like drive rivets over the final case.
    Some tractors had serial numbers there.
    Bad Bob

9. Ben 555

Ben 555 Member

Hi Tommy C,
    Have a 73a in OZ also - our D333 turbo motor has a tag on the LHS of the block (73a291)
    Ours has had a engine rebuild at some stage along with final drive rebuild.
    We are just looking to fit some tilt cylinder / s (not sure on 1 or 2 yet) - or go all out and fit a bull blade. These models only have a two valve hyd tank so we have to use the ripper circuit.
    From my limited knowledge - first of the Powershift D6 available in Australia.
    Parts - keeps me awake at night....
    Ben

Attached Files:

10. Tommyc

Tommyc Member

Well I haven’t had much time lately to keep fixing this thing but I have managed to keep on the hunt for the mystery number going with no luck. I have found numbers stamped in the frame behind the radiator mounts on both side and the torque converter mounts. I’m finding 3 lots of 1010 and also a 020. This is driving me crazy

Attached Files:

11. Mcrafty1

Mcrafty1 Well-Known Member

Other than the spoked rear sprockets and the the C frame style dozer blade the machine looks a LOT like my 68 C model.... US serial number 76A5579, My serial # is on a tag affixed to the firewall just in front of your right shin when seated on the machine...and also on the side of the engine block....I don't recall which side for sure but I believe the right side but I'd have to look to be sure about that. My numbers happen to match but if your engine has been change they likely wouldn't.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  12. BerricoBeef

BerricoBeef Member

Hi there I am trying to track down a rocker cover gasket part number for my D6C 73A. Machine was built in 1963. Westrac have no idea. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. JD in Syd

13. BerricoBeef

BerricoBeef Member

Ben would you know the rocker cover gasket part number for your dozer? We need to replace ours but Westrac are useless. Cheers JD in Syd

14. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Westrac will have no idea because it's not in SIS, and I'm sure their microfiches and readers got thrown out decades ago.
    As above, the best suggestion would be to get hold of a paper Parts Manual or maybe to try ACMOC to see if there is a scanned copy of a Parts Manual in their library. I reckon the manual quoted above for 76A1-6061 would work for your 73A.

DB2 and Mcrafty1 like this.
  15. BerricoBeef

BerricoBeef Member

Nige thanks very much. I appreciate the response. Cheers JD

16. Mcrafty1

Mcrafty1 Well-Known Member

I believe Nige has got you covered, you're going to want to get that book or buying parts for your machine will be a nightmare. Do yourself a favor and run down a copy of the book Nige shows.

17. BerricoBeef

BerricoBeef Member

Thanks very much. Will do.

18. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Just so you understand whats going on here. There were D6C models (Both Direct Drive & Powershift) built in the US, Oz, & the UK in the same era. Production started in the US/Aus in 1963 and in the UK in 1964.
    So an Aus-built 73A powershift machine is the equivalent of a US-built 76A or a UK-built 83A. Because Oz production was so small I think it would be safe to say all the 73A production run would be equivalent to US machines 76A1-6061.

upload_2022-11-8_10-48-45.png

BerricoBeef likes this.
  19. BerricoBeef

BerricoBeef Member

Understood. Thanks very much.

20. .RC.

.RC. Senior Member

I would just ring Tilly's for such an item.

BerricoBeef likes this.