• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6 engine serial number

Martin Krog

Gentlemen,
I bought a new farm 4 years ago and with it was a D6 dozer. Started using it last year to clear bush to make new lands. Was running smooth till headgasket blew. Now to get parts here in SA! Firstly I cant find the serial number of the engine. Where do I start to look. I am not sure if its a D or a C model. All I know is that its got the thick head on. There is so many layers of paint on it that it will be hard to find the serial number unless one knows exactly where to look. Can anyone help me to find the serial number and then the engine manual in order for me to get parts?

Martin
South Africa

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Hi Martin - Look on the LHS upper centre of the engine block, and on the lower RHS of the dash panel. There will be a small aluminium tag riveted in each position.

D6C-Ser-No.JPG D6C-Ser-No-Dash.JPG

Martin Krog

IMG-20221019-WA0041.jpeg IMG-20221019-WA0041.jpegIMG-20221019-WA0041.jpeg IMG-20221024-WA0009.jpg IMG-20221019-WA0041.jpeg IMG-20221024-WA0009.jpg
Hi Martin - Look on the LHS upper centre of the engine block, and on the lower RHS of the dash panel. There will be a small aluminium tag riveted in each position.

View attachment 278354 View attachment 278355
Thank you very much. I shall have a look and get back to you when I get something. I hope I can manage because then I will need the manual to order parts.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
You've got a D6C with the D333, 4.5" bore engine. I think that transmission oil filter with the round top cover (instead of the square top cover, as shown in my first photo) identifies it as a fairly early D6C.
The D6C was released in 1963 as a totally new Cat model of tractor. Your powershift D6C serial number will start with 73A if it was built in Australia, 76A if it was built in the U.S.A, or 83A if it was built in the U.K.

Martin Krog

The dozer is currently with my machanic. I will definately see if we can get a seria number off it. It was painted a million times so will try and scratch. Yes she is very old but when working, she works like an oiled clock. Will have to do the seals on finaldrive too. Leaking quite bad. But for now I just want to repair the engine. I would imagine she was build in the UK because of SA ties with the UK. But let me check and will let you know once I have more info. Thanks for your help thus far, much appreciated.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I have found one must exercise great care if one is trying to scratch paint off S/No tags. It's easy to damage the numbers and letters with abrasive treatment.
I've found a better technique is to soften the paint with paint thinners, or carburettor & throttle body cleaner (in a spray can), then just rub the softened paint off with a rag.

Martin Krog

Nige, thank you. Will take great care taking the paint off. I still doubt it very much that I will find a serial number. Someone has done the machine up previously and they put the decals on as a D6C. I have tried previously to find the serial number but failed. I was always buying parts from the local dealer as a D6B and the parts is most of the time correct. Lets see what I can manage and will get back to you guys. Your help is really appreciated. We have a lack of expertise on those old models here in SA.

Martin Krog

Thank you very much for the info. Much appreciated. Will have a look and see if we can find the dataplate. If not then we will have to find anoyher way of identifying the machine. Its got the thick head on the engine. Does that mean anything?

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
Thank you very much for the info. Much appreciated. Will have a look and see if we can find the dataplate. If not then we will have to find anoyher way of identifying the machine. Its got the thick head on the engine. Does that mean anything?
If you do find a tag on the engine, there are products that will help in removing the paint buildup without harming the tag. One I've used here in the US is named Zip Strip. I'm sure there are others, and it's been a while since I've used it but it worked well so I'd assume it's still available. Don't put it on paint you don't want disturbed it wrinkles the paint up thus losing it from the surface and then you can just wipe it with a cloth.

I believe I can see the tag in the pic of the left side of the engine, it's on the side of the block just above and behind the double oil filter housings.

Last edited:

Martin Krog

Gentlemen,
After looking everywhere on the machine we could not find any dataplates whatsoever. Now I need your help. Where else can we look to determine the serial number? There are two things that I have, the first thing is that the engine have a thick head and secondly the bore is defunately a 114mm or 4.5". This is what I have and I hope you guys can help. We will need the engine repair manual and part numbers so we can recon the engine. Looking forward to your reply.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Hi Martin - So you looked behind the oil filters on the engine (arrowed) and found nothing? And there's no tag on the lower RHS of the dash panel?
You will not likely find any serial numbers stamped on the rear housing as Bluox suggested, because the ripper mounting plate will be covering them.

Accordingly - as your tractor is an early D6C production model, I'd suggest you purchase a parts catalog for either D6C 73A1-up, 83A1-up or 76A1-up, and any one of these will get you out of trouble.
There will be only minor differences between these tractors, typically some wiring or electrical brands, maybe a variation in the turbocharger make. But the parts are around 99% interchangeable between these three models.

With this model tractor, the engine information is in the one tractor parts book, it does not have a separate engine parts book as later model Cats do. The engine is a D333 model.
There are likely to be copies of the original service manual on eBay.
The cylinder head thickness is of no importance, all the D333 turbocharged engines use the same thickness of head.

If there's nothing on eBay, then this Service Manual copy will work just fine.

https://finneyparts.us/caterpillar-...m-re0034-cat-book-74a1-up-76a1-up-sd599600785

Be extremely careful when lowering the cylinder head back onto the engine block, there are metal ferrules with large rubber seals fitted around them, between the head and the block.

You must exercise great care to ensure that all the ferrules fit in their respective holes as the head goes down, and that you don't accidentally knock one or more of the ferrules out of position.
If you do knock one or more of those ferrules out of position as you lower the head, they will cock at an angle, and become crushed as the head goes down - and then you'll have a water or oil leak to deal with! - which can only be fixed by removing the cylinder head again, and replacing the crushed ferrule or ferrules!

D6C-tag.JPG

Last edited:

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
Take a closeup pic of the area behind the oil filters where the arrow is pointing in OzDozers post above and post it here, if that's not a tag, it's where there used to be a tag.

Martin Krog

We didnt find anything. We looked all over the machine but couldnt find anything. I shall use the info you gave me and knock on the CAT parts supplier here by us and see if they can help with the parts. Gentlemen, I thank you kindly for your advice up to now. I shall steam ahead and see what I can get parts wise. If I need any further info, you will indeed hear from me soon. All the best and rhank you once again.