• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D5N XL

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
I am looking at a 2001 D5N XL on Machinery trader for $42k. Just window shopping but I would appreciate comments on this model, how they operate, how they hold-up, whether it was a good model, etc. Why were the high track D5 models discontinued? I assume it is because that size dozer is a duplication of the D6 size dozers.

ih100

I spent a lot of time on these rigs, 6-way blades on all of them. The normal track was a bit twitchy on the front end, the XL's are about right on the balance. Lovely finishing machine.

firetrack

Cat D5N.
I have 2005 model LGP(86kw/115hp) and it is a real good unit with plenty of push, comfortable to operate and to date no breakdowns. It's only done 2600hrs. Mine is set up for forestry/scrub and wildfire work with a full canopy over the cab, bonnet and rippers, integrated green and amber flashing LEDs(green has a much greater penetration in smoke), tree pushing spear, set of Komatsu D65 rippers and PAT blade. total weight 17250kg. I have both 30" LGP and 20" standard grousers for it. I believe they discontinued the D5 high track as the D6 had some models downrated to nearly the same HP. I think also they regarded the D5 size as a finishing size dozer which the high track configuration is not the best at because the distance between the dead axel and the equaliser bar is so close compared to an oval track. In my opinion this can lead the hight track models to start wallowing up and down which once they start it is quite difficult to correct. I know it is a lot easier to do a nice level road in the bush with my old D4E than with my D5N especially if you are trying to do a hard cut. Of course this may be just my bad handling of the D5N - but I have done a few hours on dozers. As far as operator comfort, serviceability, manuverability, balance, working on slope, in wet slop, pushing dirt and timber the high track wins' hands down'. If you have the time there is not much you won't be able to achieve with the D5N

ih100

Interesting comments, Firetrack, but personally I never had any problems finishing with the small high-drives as long as the bushes were good. I was recently on a new 6N which is the same base as the old high-drive fives, electro-hydraulic controls, and possibly the best finishing machine I've been on.

grandpa

Firetrack,,, I find it interesting you say the D5 had good push.... I rented a 2009 D5 last year and everybody that ran it for me thought it to be a dog.... we finished the work we had for it and sent it packing.... by the way, I'm a Cat backer so this is hard for me to state.

firetrack

Granpa,
Was the D5 an 'N' Series or 'K' series. If it was the oval track 'K' series then it has beren derated from the 'N' series by nearly 20hp. Mine is an LGP and is rated at 115hp. I've been working with 1150K Case and have no trouble keeping up with it - I'm actually more productive in the forest. I've not been in a dirt push situation with the Case so i can't comment. The Case is nice to operate with good creature comforts.
ih100
I believe that Cat have gone to oval tracks for the dozers that they regard as 'finishing' machines. I realise you can get 'Accu grade' on all units but I still believe that the oval units are more suited to finishing than the hitrack units. The D6K if it isn't primarily a finishing unit then it really is in no mans land as far as the Cat lin up is concerned. But each operator has different skills with their machines and I clearly am not as good at finishing as you.
have a nice day
Firetrack

grandpa

Firetrack.... It was a D5N with paddle steer...wide pad. I own a D4H and it also has 115 Hp. and we found the D5 did not live up to our expectations...... and as far as your ability as a finishing operator I wouldn't have a clue and didn't insinuate as such. If you took it that way I apologize as that wasn't my intention.

ih100

Firetrack, you rightly said the 6K is designed as a finishing machine, but then the 5N wasn't built as a bulk machine either. I find the N easier than the K purely because I've probably had 10x the hours on the high-drives. You'd probably knock spots off me on the K.

firetrack

Granpa,
No offense taken. What model is the D4H that is 115hp. I didn't know they made one that high. Mine was 105hp with 3304 motor. That extra 10hp would certainly make a difference.I also owned a 95hp D4H with a 3204 motor. Both were good units and had PAT blades that I imported second hand from Japan and then fitted Komatsu rippers to. Much easier to find used komatsu ripper sets than Cat out here. Most of the hi track D4/D5 in Australia were made by Shin Caterpillar Mitsubishi (Japan)

firetrack

ttazzman,
What model is your series 3. I can't find any D4H in Aus that were more than 105hp. I know the D5H LGP was boosted to 130hp (I owned one). Your unit may be specific to US but I can't find a 115 or 130hp on Toughquip. Be interested to know what model it was as it would certainly be a pretty 'ballsy' D4 with 115 or 130hp under the bonnet.

ttazzman

firetrack.....i am basing my statement of 115hp from what i was told by a salesman and i am 50% sure it was in the brochure......my model # is 8PJ014xx........it is normal to see Ritchie etc advertize the late year LGPs at 130hp (i am not a expert on this)

(quote from Yellowmtlmilitia) from a older thread
"D4H series 3
3304 engine
116 hp gross
105 flywheel
25,929 xl arrangement
3.83cy blade with xl arrangement

The series 2 machine was rated at
99 hp gross
95 flywheel

And the xl config wasnt available until series 3

The series 3 also has a much higher drawbar pull in every gear

Anything else just let me know, i have a full specalog for every D4 ever made sitting on my desk."

Last edited:

firetrack

ttazzman,
There's the difference that i couldn't fathom. Out here HP is quoted as flywheel and not gross.