• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D5N XL - Right Price

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
What would be a fair price in the mid-west for a D5N XL with 1400 hours in good condition? OROPS. No attachments except 6-way blade. rear screen and sweeps. Has been well maintained. Tractor has been used on a farm. Undercarriage has at least 70 % life left. Thanks

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
The machine I inquired about just sold. The asking price was $72,000. Still would like feed-back as I am still looking for a D5N or M.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I would say "good" price for the machine you describe, should be in the high 60's low 70's for a low hour machine, given the current market. Some have went at auction in the 50's but that is a "right place at the right time" deal.

Of course price also depends on what the machine has - cab, rippers, winch etc. Also factor in the distance from you the machine is located as shipping costs can become considerable.

Last edited:

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
CM1995 thanks. The machine I inquired about sold on machinery trader. Which is where I bought mt Cat D3G LGP.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
No problem. I forgot to ask what you will be doing or foresee doing with the dozer. You may want to demo a D6N, there is quite a difference between the two machines and there are a few nice 6's out there in the '70's.

I had a D6N and a friend had a D5N working on the same job a couple of years ago. The 6 is a heavier tractor that you can get the diff steer on and is a larger step up in sizes than say a D4 to a D5. Yet the 6 is still light enough to haul on a 54K tag trailer, although in AL I needed an over wide permit even for the XL version due to the blade hanging off the trailer by 2" or so on each side with the blade angled.

I really like my D6N, we moved a lot of dirt with it. Just my $.02.