• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D5K2 LGP

Tim Modine

Thinking of buying a Cat D5K2 LGP (2016 an up). Looking around and I'm seeing machines with lane 2 with no front counterweight or lane 3 order. Not really up to speed on cat dozer terminology. Could someone explain to me what those differences are and if you've operated one, your thoughts on the dozer . Last dozers i ran were a D6M XL, D4 old school, D37PX. Looking for a newer machine with the updated technologies like the slope assist. Im familiar with the Trimble systems as I had the 2D earthworks installed in my 05' Doosan excavator and its absolutely a game changer.
Thanks in advance Tim

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Lane 2 & 3 are two “standard” arrangements comprising combinations of certain popular attachments - what most people would pick from the options catalogue in other words. It’s allegedly to introduce a degree of commonality to the production line. I’ll have to have a look what each version consists of.

Alternatively if you post a Serial Number I can tell you what it equipped with.

Tim Modine

Lane 2 & 3 are two “standard” arrangements comprising combinations of certain popular attachments - what most people would pick from the options catalogue in other words. It’s allegedly to introduce a degree of commonality to the production line. I’ll have to have a look what each version consists of.

Alternatively if you post a Serial Number I can tell you what it equipped with.
CAT00D5KCKY202474 One of the machines I'm interested in. Thank you

Tim Modine

I'm finding out how clever these dealers are. They take pictures of interior and on the display it shows a fair amount of less hours than whats stated in machine description. Therefore giving a false sense of undercarriage wear. Some look as though the grouser heights are that of a possibly recent pad change or recent undercarriage replacement. One picture showed 900 or so hours with the undercarriage looking fairly new but the add posted says close to 4000 hrs. Led me to believe that was a recent pic advertising the machine hrs as posted in add. The ole dangle the carrot click bait you into calling about the machine. Very clever sales tactic .

DGODGR

Here's the Product Data Sheet in case you haven't got it.
How do you know what might be on a certain machine or not? More specifically, some of the info that's stated on the Product Data Sheet you attached states that slope indication (among other things) are included on the D5k2 series. Is that true for all k2s, only those with that particular option, or is there a series break? I bought a 2011 machine but the OP was inquiring about 2016 and newer. When I look at the Grade Control arrangement number that you provided here, it's different than the one on the list that you sent me related to my specific machine.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
When I look at the Grade Control arrangement number that you provided here, it's different than the one on the list that you sent me related to my specific machine.
Apart from the difference of 5 years between manufacture of the two machines the one above is a full grade control system, the one on your machine is the basic version.
How do you know what might be on a certain machine or not?
Have to look into the system to see the "as built consist" of the particular machine Serial Number.
More specifically, some of the info that's stated on the Product Data Sheet you attached states that slope indication (among other things) are included on the D5k2 series. Is that true for all k2s, only those with that particular option, or is there a series break?
That data sheet was for a TIER 4 machine sold around the time the OP was asking so it related directly to the machine he was looking at. It would not necessarily be correct for a machine 5 years older - e.g. the 2011 machine would have a TIER 3 engine, not TIER 4 Final as stated on the data sheet.
Slope indication on that same data sheet is on the last page which is all Optional Equipment. Standard Equipment is on the previous page.