• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D5K Hydraulic Cylinder Bleeding

charles miles

After rebuilding and reinstalling the Tilt and Angle Hydraulic Cylinders on my hydrostat D5K XL I need help determining the correct procedure to bleed the air out of the system. I think the hydraulic control valves are open center so I think the pump will be pressurizing both sides of each of the cylinder as soon as I turn the hydraulics on. All of the cylinders are currently empty of fluid. I assume that is not a problem? Is there any reason I cannot just start the hydraulics and systematical crack each line at connection of hose to cylinder at the full extension and retraction of each cylinder until the no more air is being forced out?

The hoses connect on the bottom of each cylinder so I am not sure that 100% of the air will get to the hose connection on the bottom of the cylinders.

Thank for any help you can offer!

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
After rebuilding and reinstalling the Tilt and Angle Hydraulic Cylinders on my hydrostat D5K XL I need help determining the correct procedure to bleed the air out of the system. I think the hydraulic control valves are open center so I think the pump will be pressurizing both sides of each of the cylinder as soon as I turn the hydraulics on. All of the cylinders are currently empty of fluid. I assume that is not a problem? Is there any reason I cannot just start the hydraulics and systematical crack each line at connection of hose to cylinder at the full extension and retraction of each cylinder until the no more air is being forced out?

The hoses connect on the bottom of each cylinder so I am not sure that 100% of the air will get to the hose connection on the bottom of the cylinders.

Thank for any help you can offer!
First time I've ever heard of bleeding lift rams , the pressure would be so high as to almost make the space the air takes up almost non existent . Just make sure there is enough oil in the system to make up for the oil lost when the rams were removed .