• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D5C Track Guards

Dave303223

When I bought my 93' D5C, s/n 6PJ00785, all the track guards were missing. It's bad enough cleaning out the clay and dirt with guards but what a pain without! I've had no luck finding any new used or otherwise so looking for options on modifying other models guards maybe?? I've found these repops, Caterpillar Track Guide Guard, 3V3484, not meant for mine but was thinking I could fab up a fit with them. Do the D3 and D4 interchange with the same years of the 5C?
Been looking for LH engine panel and battery door also with no luck, one yard I called said all were highly sought after panels, apparently they get left off and lost over the years! Any ideas??
Thanks,
Dave

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
When I bought my 93' D5C, s/n 6PJ00785, all the track guards were missing.
Are you referring to the short guards at the front & rear of the track frames, or to track roller guards.?
If the latter I'm sorry to tell you but they were not an option on the 6PJ-prefix machine.
Do your track frames have threaded holes in them for roller guards.?

Dave303223

Are you referring to the short guards at the front & rear of the track frames, or to track roller guards.?
If the latter I'm sorry to tell you but they were not an option on the 6PJ-prefix machine.
Do your track frames have threaded holes in them for roller guards.?
Hey Nige, They may be called track adjuster panel or guards, at any rate they cover the track adjuster spring. Cat parts manual list them as 8y-7166, 67 and so forth, I think it shows 4 panels total. Cat said they are no longer available.

Nige

Cat parts manual list them as 8y-7166, 67 and so forth, I think it shows 4 panels total. Cat said they are no longer available.
Well those numbers are wrong for a start. The 8Y-7166 & 67 are discontinued but they are not listed for your machine anyway.

The recoil & idler Guard Gp for your machine is 8Y-7165. You need 6 different Part numbers of guards:-
2 x 8Y-8799 (Ref #1) for the idler (front) end.
2 x 8Y-8800 (#2) for the sprocket end.
1 x 8Y-8920 (#3) main guard for the RH track frame.
1 x 8Y-8921 (#5) main guard for the LH track frame.
1 x 8Y-8822 (#11) guard for the RH track frame.
1 x 8Y-8823 (#11) guard for the LH track frame.
2 x 8Y-8170 Cover As (#10) to fit over the hole to access the track tensioner valve.

All of the above are current Part Numbers and none of them have been discontinued.

1685296194307.png

Dave303223

Hmm, the other PNs came from the Cat online parts manual when I did my search, it has my D5C SN as part of my account. Thanks Nige, I'll run the numbers you found and see what I can find!
Dave

Dave303223

Attachments

• 20230529_200656.jpg
    20230529_200656.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

bigbudsr67

I have the long guards on my 5M and had my track extended so my Cat dealer tried to get the guard that was listed in SIS parts to add to my guards for the new added length with no luck even though they are listed ? They ended up having them fabricated and turned out great. Hard to recognize.

Attachments

• IMG_5870.jpg
    IMG_5870.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

Dave303223

I have the long guards on my 5M and had my track extended so my Cat dealer tried to get the guard that was listed in SIS parts to add to my guards for the new added length with no luck even though they are listed ? They ended up having them fabricated and turned out great. Hard to recognize.
they did a great job!

Dave303223

You're doing it through parts.cat.com/ which is primarily a parts purchasing portal.
I used SIS which generally (although not always) gives more reliable results.
I saw SIS on your post and wasn't sure what it was, how do you access the SIS manual?

Nige

I saw SIS on your post and wasn't sure what it was, how do you access the SIS manual?
You'll have to request your dealer to give you access.
SIS - aka Service Information System

EDIT: Here's a thought. Log into Cat Parts Store the same way you would do normally. Look at the menus on the top line to the right of the Cat logo, click on the one marked "SIS" and see what happens.

1685413220466.png

Last edited:

Dave303223

Thanks, it points me back to my local dealer for approval. I need to contact the main store in Knoxville since this one can't seem to fix it.