• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat d5 won't steer one direction

Easterday

Have a 1982 power shift cat d5b. Won't steer right. Brakes work great, clutch and brakes have been adjusted, we took the hydraulic control valve apart and everything checks out. The next move would be to check out the steering clutch pistons? Any ideas?

DPete

Pull both steering clutch levers and step on the brake while moving, should stop easily, quick check if the clutches are releasing

DPete

I had a D8 do that , it was the teflon seals on the release piston. It just wouldn't release one steering clutch. We did both sides and cross shaft bearings since we were so close

Bob/Ont

I had a D8 do that , it was the teflon seals on the release piston. It just wouldn't release one steering clutch. We did both sides and cross shaft bearings since we were so close
This machine is different Pete. I'm not sure if it's a full size D5 or an overgrown D3. I think it's a full size and likely has a release bearing failure. If it has it will stop when you try to turn using clutch and brake.
Later Bob

d9gdon

This machine is different Pete. I'm not sure if it's a full size D5 or an overgrown D3. I think it's a full size and likely has a release bearing failure. If it has it will stop when you try to turn using clutch and brake.
Later Bob

Bob,
He said it was a 1982 D5B. That'd most likely be a 25X or 44X SN machine.

The overgrown D3's came out later.

Bob/Ont

Bob,
He said it was a 1982 D5B. That'd most likely be a 25X or 44X SN machine.

The overgrown D3's came out later.

92 would be more like it for that one. Not sure if the back end is the same as earlier series but if it is I would take a look at the release bearing and linkage.
Later Bob

Easterday

Serial number 24x319. No it will not stop the dozer when both clutches are pulled and brakes applied. It does not stop the machine either when the right steering clutch is pulled and brake is applied. When I first bought it it was sporadic but rarely worked, dozer came out of some very wet conditions and had to drain water from transmission when I got it home. Is it likely corrosion is playing a part internally? Linkage works great.

Easterday

Correction, you CAN stop the machine by applying both brakes and clutch levers however when just pulling the two clutch levers all the way the dozer will not stop. I'm under the assumption that when you pull on the levers all the way it applies the brakes as well as the clutches?

DPete

24X319 is 1978 according to iron record, oops sorry old mag beat me to it. Forget the combined brakes for now if you pull the right steering clutch and push the right brake pedal what happens? Does it pull the engine down and just go straight?

Last edited:

Easterday

24X319 is 1978 according to iron record, oops sorry old mag beat me to it. Forget the combined brakes for now if you pull the right steering clutch and push the right brake pedal what happens? Does it pull the engine down and just go straight?

Yes it pulls the engine down but continues straight.

Bob/Ont

if you can get the pto cover off check the bevel gear bearings for side play.
Later Bob

d9gdon

Have a 1982 power shift cat d5b. Won't steer right. Brakes work great, clutch and brakes have been adjusted, we took the hydraulic control valve apart and everything checks out. The next move would be to check out the steering clutch pistons? Any ideas?

Did you make any progress?