• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D4H XL series III - Ripper

fcf1320

Is it possible to install a ripper for this D4h xl series III dozer?

Attachments

• 2662741301[1].jpg
    2662741301[1].jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 2,189

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If your machine is an 8PJ Serial Number prefix then the answer is yes. The Ripper Arrangement is a Part Number 8E-9183. That arrangement comprises the following groups: -

1U-0275 - Cylinder & Mounting Gp, Ripper
1U-3084 - Lines Gp, Ripper (rear firewall to ripper)
8G-4488 - Lines Gp, Ripper (control valve to rear firewall)
1U-0624 - Ripper Group
8E-9184 - Mounting Gp, Ripper
You will need to add a 1U-2747 Valve Gp to your existing 3-function control valve so that it has the extra section for the ripper.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Looking at the photos of the ripper on that web site listed that it "fits" D4H it looks correct compared to the one in the Cat Parts Manuals. The only difference that I can see is that the lower mounting point is different to what Cat uses. Doesn't mean it wont fit (or work) correctly though.

grizly

Occupation
general freight driver
HI all

I am a new member and can't seem to start my own topics yet.Especially the member intro section .
But anyway hi, and i do have a question i wonder if all you experienced people can give me some insight please.
I am looking at buying a D4 which has ripper capabilities , i want it for prospecting further on a gold lease i have found which may have deeper gold than my metal detector can reach.so it is basicly that i have some hard conglomerate ground which i need to rip through to get to the gold below,(if there is any there that is...)
This ground is basic gravel wash but has a hard density to it , i can jack hammer it give some muscle and time and it breaks up piece by peice,it isn't rock but just hard dirt. I probably need to rip down about 4 feet over an area of 30 square metres.Would a D4 have what it takes to do this though ? or should i look for something bigger ? any ideas as i know (edit) all about operating ..
Thanks for any help...

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Hi grizly, Welcome to HEF! You have to make three (3) posts before you can create your own thread. Go to Test Forum and submit your two (2) remaining posts and you're good to go.

HI all, I am a new member and can't seem to start my own topics yet.Especially the member intro section.

Last edited:

r_steven

Hi grizly, welcome to HEF. You have to make 3 posts before you can start a new thread. A D4 with good ripper points should do it, even if you have to use 1or 2 ripper shanks. It probably depends on how much time you want to spend doing it. I don't have much ripping experience so get some more advice before your purchase!

grizly

Occupation
general freight driver
Thanks for the input r_steven.
I am hoping a D4 will have the power and machine weight to do it without having to push it hard to get the job done.If i have to push it hard i would rather start looking for something bigger but i would prefer something affordable and easier to freight at the same time.Cheer mate..

grizly

Occupation
general freight driver
Hi Scrub Puller

It was suggested to me by a mate who only uses wheel loaders that this type of ground would need a 966 to break it up enough to push it out.That is the experience he can offer.
He doesnt have experience using dozers though,The ground is very hard ,i think a back ho might bounce off it.There is top soil of about 6 inches and under that gravel wash which is glued into a conglomerate of minerals,kind of like a bitumen stew,and about 4 feet of it.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . grizly. Fair enough mate, it's hard to know without seeing the dirt. If you make up a ripper tine for a hoe its surprising what you can loosen up and then bail it with the bucket.

It just seems a dozer is a lot of iron with little room to work.

Cheers.

ttazzman

my D4H XL3 when i drop the 3 time ripper all the way into hard soil 12+ inches....it has the HP to pull it but not the traction (its too light) and will start slipping the tracks .....so i would guess you might be ok using just one or two tines on your ripper maybe or less than full depth passes......again its a function of traction.....

Last edited:

grizly

Occupation
general freight driver
That's a good perspective Scrub Puller ,I guess the reality is back ho's work ..My mate has a John Deer ,always talking about it ,he is a prospector too ,he talks more about that machine than anything else,i guess it made him a few pennies since and it still goes.

grizly

Occupation
general freight driver
I see ttazzman ,exactly what i was asking myself ..
So the D4 will lose traction , i read somewhere machine weight is a factor but i didn't really see why ,i assumed if the tracks were still ok and the D4 had the power it should move still but maybe not.
Thanks very much for that