• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D4H overheating the converter transmission

Crisanta

The oil is new Nige we made services recently, but we are using according the CAT specifications, I do not have the name in my hands now, even was one oil with good and high viscosity,

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The power train oil also feeds the steering clutches and brakes.

You seem to have replaced/overhauled most of the parts in the power train (converter, transmission, & pump) so it probably might pay you to turn your attention to the steering system. Somewhere there was a thread where a poster had blocked off the oil feed to the steering clutches/brakes in order to test for leaks in the system. Let me see if I can find it.

Crisanta

Nigel thanks by you reply

Yes I know some body has blocked the inlet of the steering but at the end he found the solution replacing the resonators so I have replaced it also.

Nige

Okay, so you are aware of possible issues in the steering. However what I was suggesting is to blank the oil flow to the steering system completely so that you can make a test to determine whether the power train or the steering is the cause of the pressure loss that you are measuring. It may be that you have leakage in the steering clutch pistons

Did you actually blank off the steering system.? This requires the manufacture of a plate. See this thread, page 2.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/cat-d4h-torque-converter-overheating.82429/

Crisanta

One question how is the procedure to check the oil level with the engine run and the temperature in operation normal? Or all in stop and oil cold.?

Nige

One question how is the procedure to check the oil level with the engine run and the temperature in operation normal? Or all in stop and oil cold.?
If you have oil visible to somewhere around the FULL mark on the dipstick when the engine is stopped and the oil is cold then it is safe to start.
To set the level correct, the dipstick should be checked with all systems at normal operating temperature, engine idling, & transmission in neutral. Maintain the oil between the ADD and FULL marks.
Can I check the steering leak with air test putting down the body valve.?
I do not think it will necessarily prove anything, because checking with air at maybe 100psi when the machine is cold is not going to show a leak that only becomes apparent when the machine is warm and from an oil supply that is capable of giving 400+psi. The accepted way of eliminating the steering system is to install a blanking plate.

Crisanta

Only thing that I don't have checked is the body valve, could be some dirty inside of the valve making the lost pressure in the power train.?

Because it work fine cold but after 45 minutes, does not engage, or spinning.

Today I have checked the pressure again Li 400psi and Hi 420psi

Crisanta

So, The oil level is in the blue small mark in normal operation and engine idling, so I could say that need at less 40 Lts more and less

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-24-22-40-56.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-24-22-40-56.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 28

Crisanta

Nige thanks again by your reply

Not the long blue mark was the old level before to be filled with 20 liters, so it was after filled until the short blue mark, I suppose it need goes until the mark ADD...am I correct.?

Crisanta

And how many gallons use the power train whole,?? I have placed 30 gallons, so it look like in the dipstick need more, and there is not leaking to the ground..

Crisanta

And how many gallons use the power train whole,?? I have placed 30 gallons, so it look like in the dipstick need more, and there is not leaking to the ground..

Crisanta

blue mark: oil level currently on operation normal temp.

Red mark: ADD line mark on dipstick.

Black marck: FULL line mark on dispstick.

Attachments

• 2021-04-26 11.02.21.png
    2021-04-26 11.02.21.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

Nige

blue mark: oil level currently on operation normal temp.

Red mark: ADD line mark on dipstick.

Black mark: FULL line mark on dispstick.
That makes no sense. The Full mark should be something like 2-3" ABOVE the Add mark, not below it like you show in your photo. Unfortunately the letter markings are hard to read on the photo.
Is there another mark somewhere further up the stick.?

The approximate system capacity is 28 US gallons, but even the manual says that this is only a guideline and that you should always work to the dipstick to set the level.

Either way the oil level is above the add mark so everything should work.

Nige

I am still worried that the loss of pressure you are seeing could be in the steering and nothing to do with the transmission or converter. See the link in post #25 for more details.

Until the tests have been made and you eliminate the steering as a possible cause for the pressure loss I don't see how you can move forward with the diagnosis.

Crisanta

That makes no sense. The Full mark should be something like 2-3" ABOVE the Add mark, not below it like you show in your photo. Unfortunately the letter markings are hard to read on the photo.
Is there another mark somewhere further up the stick.?

The approximate system capacity is 28 US gallons, but even the manual says that this is only a guideline and that you should always work to the dipstick to set the level.

Either way the oil level is above the add mark so everything should work.
Thanks Nigel by your reply.

The oil mark is below the ADD mark, so I will go to complete to the FILL mark and check what happen with the power train.