• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D4H 3204 Fix or junk?

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
I am the third time into a 3204 in a fairly short machine hours time span. Got it pulled apart for a seize up and found all the bores LOOSE and appear to have already been bored over and sleeved, one rod bearing completely burned out, and the center 3 mains down to copper and #5 starting to melt to crank. It supposedly had been worked over less than 100 hours ago (highly doubtful from dirt and crap accumulation) and a previous time from them loosing and rolling it off a trailer and a rod seized up after restart. The cat landed on its feet though:D! Upon disassembly, I realized it had the same head as my 3208 and after research, found it is another of Cat's throwaway engines:mad:. Now the question arises, do I junk it and try to find a reman or spend a pile of their money on rebuilding what seems to be a jinxed engine.

Welder Dave

It might depend a lot on who did the rebuild and if they tried to turn it up even more. The shop that rebuilt my 3204 (non-turbo) said 3204's with a turbo such as yours and in the 953 are pushing the limits of how much HP they can get out of a fairly small 4 cylinder engine. They are known for more frequent rebuilds and shorter life than say a 3304. In a non-turbo, 75 HP max., version they are a much more reliable engine. See if you can get a Cat reman and set it to original specs..

d9gdon

Series III machines had the 3304 in them from the factory...might see if you can find a good runner in the junk yard and see what it would take to fit it.

Here's one torn down for parts, but it says fire damage...you might could get some parts off of it anyway. I've bought parts there before and he's pretty good to deal with.

https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...ent/manufacturer/caterpillar/model/d4h-xl-iii

Bluox

Cmark

In my experience there's no reason to give up on a 3204. I've rebuilt several in off-road applications and have had zero comebacks.

Use a good machine shop to bore and sleeve the block, and make sure they're honed properly. Don't use Cat pistons, use three ring aftermarket (I think I used IPD, or maybe Clevite), don't be cheap; buy a new oil pump and cooler and, as with any engine rebuild, use workmanlike assembly methods and KEEP IT CLEAN.

In use, change the oil regularly, don't let it idle too much and keep an eye on the water pump drive belt.

Dave Neubert

Your engine should be OK if rebuilt properly Like CMark says use 3 ring piston replace oil pump and cooler always rebuild the rods the bushing on the small end can hammer out if not redone with every rebuild have block line bored since you have had bottom end trouble. replace head bolts put some OR injectors in and also check your front cover where the oil pump runs I have had to replace because of scoring . If you have the top of the block resurfaced check piston protrusion I have had to machine .010 or so off of top of piston. I dont like to go over .020 on the crank but that is just my preference

wrwtexan

Occupation
I had after advice from an old timer local Cat mechanic, opted to have it bored and sleeved with a new crank and check the block alignment. Just talked to the brother owners and they asked about a long block so I have some calling to do. Local wrench and I are wondering if the previous mechanic did a ring job and charged for full workover OR the air filter wasn't sealed and dirt killed it. With the damage anticipated (rod, not shot bores) and pulling engine at their operation, I didn't check the air filters. Trinity Casting in Dallas can do an excellent workover but with them being gun shy of this one and a longblock maybe not being too much more, I'm not sure how this will go forward.

Welder Dave

In my experience there's no reason to give up on a 3204. I've rebuilt several in off-road applications and have had zero comebacks.

Use a good machine shop to bore and sleeve the block, and make sure they're honed properly. Don't use Cat pistons, use three ring aftermarket (I think I used IPD, or maybe Clevite), don't be cheap; buy a new oil pump and cooler and, as with any engine rebuild, use workmanlike assembly methods and KEEP IT CLEAN.

In use, change the oil regularly, don't let it idle too much and keep an eye on the water pump drive belt.

Yes to IPD for the 3 ring pistons. My block was bored .010" over with 3 ring IPD pistons. More compression so a little more power but barely turns over and it's running. Has to be about -10C before I need to give a tiny shot of ether. Yes to new oil pump and cooler. My oil pump measured very minimal wear but 16 1/2 hours after installing ripped a couple gears off the drive. I had to take the engine and trans back out. At least the engine rebuild was covered by warranty.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Update, just got the block back with 40 over pistons and a new crank. Going to start build this week and maybe have them a decent running machine to now trade for something that hasn't been rolled off a trailer several times! Rod, new crank, gaskets rings and pistons, $1600, block bore $800, and plenty of room in the estimate for me to make a few $$.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Finally got the little 4 back together and started today! On assembly, I found two possibilities on it eating dirt; the air filter indicator was broken and leaking, and the filter housing was cracked and possibly allowing the filter to come unsealed and suck raw air through a completely disintegrated inner filter. It started up and ran perfectly. Sad part is the rest of the machine (rollers, 6 way blade joints) is shot or beat to hell from being rolled off their trailer at least 3 times... With parts and labor I'll be able to stay within their $6K limit.