• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat d4g won't move

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
The problem is resolved: The steering module went inoperable, locking up all machine track movement. At the same time, the ECM calibrations were apparently erased. Installed new steering module, flashed data to the ECM and re-calibrated. So far, so good. The CAT man had to work on this one, apparently this was an odd failure. Lucky for me, the CAT man discovered the factory installed ECM could reprogram in lieu of a new one, saving $1875 dollars US up front. On the back end, this one took a little longer. Don't know the total damages yet. Thanks to all for their contributions to this thread.

Seans problems

Blue top or Nige, I have a D5C lgp and it seems like the parking brake stays on. the light goes off after the dead man switch is pressed. it will try to go forward but locks up and if you try to steer either direction it wont even act like it's trying to engage. Do you guys have any ideas of whats going on?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
First one 6CS1142 is the machine, 5XK29878 is the engine.

When you say "it will try to go forward but locks up", just exactly how far does the tractor move in either the forward or reverse direction before it "locks up"..?
Does it make any nasty noises when it's doing that..?

Last edited:

Nige

Is the low brake pressure indicator lit..?
It almost sounds as though the parking brake is not releasing even though the indicator light on the panel indicates that it is.
Have you checked the 20A fuse for the brake solenoid and if the fuse is OK, checked the solenoid itself..? The resistance of the solenoid coil is supposed to be 8.15±0.6 ohms.

Seans problems

The light is not on and I checked the resistance of the solenoid, it's steady at 7.6. That's .7 so I'll start by finding the part number for that. Thank you for your time and help.

Nige

Just because the resistance of the solenoid coil is correct doesn't necessarily mean that the valve it controls is working correctly. That's possibly your next point to check.

Another question. Did the problem start suddenly or has it been slowly getting worse over time until the point at which the tractor won'tr move..?

Seans problems

The operator said for the last two months it has been doing this. He called on monday and explained it to me. how do I go about checking the valve it controls?

Nige

I think you meant to type 0.55?? Which is close, but not out of spec. How fussy are these coils Nige?
Sorry, no idea. But anything that was outside the permitted spec range of 7-55-8.75 ohms would have me changing it. Considering the spec is only around 8 ohms, ±0.6 ohms is almost ±10% so it's a fairly broad range. A lot would depend on the accuracy of the multimeter measuring the resistance I'd guess.

Seans problems

Hey guys, Thanks again for all the help. I bought a handy little DC voltage tester and then put power to the solenoid. The shuttle was only just budging when power was put to it. I swapped the solenoid and the valve because that's how they shipped/sold it to me. for my 2000 d5c-LPG dozer The part number was "160-7203" and the name was "Valve GP brake solenoid".

Thank you and merry Christmas.