• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D3G XL shut off thingy?

DigDug

I have a D3G 1600 hrs. It wont shut off . The fuse to shut off solenoid is good. I am trying to find the (relay? solenoid? timesdpower switch?) thingy that makes power go to the shut off solenoid on the injector pump.
The only way I can shut it off is to run a jumper wire from the battery to the shut off solenoid on the pump.
Anyone know the name of this part that puts momentary power to the solenoid when the key is turned off and where it is located? Thank you, doug

dsichewski

I believe the part your looking for is located on the drivers side...if you remove the engine panel and then look in behind the paneling you should see a plastic piece with a wire connector going to it. I believe its held on with 1 or 2 bolts....its plug and play with the wiring.

I had a cat d3 or d5 with the exact same problem...couldn't shut off in the field...tech went out and installed jumper wire so machine could be shut off and used the rest of the day. and diagnosed it to that switch/relay/timer....customer brought machine to yard and i replaced that switch/relay/timer and it shut off then no probs.....unforunatly I don't have access to SIS web and parts breaks downs and such but maybe some of the parts cat guys here can help you out.

good luck

bolt thrower

Occupation
Tractor Fixer
189-4919 Relay AS (12V engine shutdown timer). looks like its in the engine compartment low and to rear, R.H. side. Pic not the best, need serial # to be exact. Hope this helps.

d9gdon

I had the same exact thing happen to my D4G, it's a solenoid on the left side as you're sitting in the seat if I remember right. Take the engine side shield off and it's a square plastic/metal assembly that's plugged in close to the firewall under the side shield opening I think. It's bolted to the inside. My part # on the D4G was a 237-2534 engine shutdown timer.

DigDug

Hey thanks for the help I appreciate it. I will look for that part tonight around the firewall and let you know how I made out . Thanks doug

Doug, I just found this post...I am having the same issue with my D4g. I have to jump from the battery to the selenoid to shut the machine off. Did you find the cause? If you did, was it a timer or relay and where did you find it. I have the CAT wire diagram but will have to become an electical engineer to trace. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Also...3 of my gauges dont show correctly...they max out in readings...oil pressure, fuel level and...cant remember the other. Possible connection? Thanks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I think you're possibly being more than a bit optimistic expecting a response from an OP of a thread that is 8 years old.......

The Cat schematics are easy enough to follow once you understand the nomenclature. Have you tried reading the boxes at the bottom of Page 2 of the schematic marked "Wire Group Color Description", "Symbol Descriptions", & "Color Abbreviatons". That pretty much explains it all.

Thanks, I thought Ied give it a shot. My problem with the schematic is that I need to print it on a large plan size. I have been trying to veiw in pdf on my laptop and keep getting lost. I did dind the issue thought...need an updated shut down timer relay and harness, nothing that $700 cant fix

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I think you're possibly being more than a bit optimistic expecting a response from an OP of a thread that is 8 years old.......

The Cat schematics are easy enough to follow once you understand the nomenclature. Have you tried reading the boxes at the bottom of Page 2 of the schematic marked "Wire Group Color Description", "Symbol Descriptions", & "Color Abbreviatons". That pretty much explains it all.
One thing that can help, at least for me, with the PDF form of wiring diagrams is to use the search function. Say if you have wire 743 and want to know where if goes just do a search for 743 and keep hitting next and it will walk you through the diagram showing all the places 743 goes. May not answer all your questions but it can help!

JD955SC

Thanks, I thought Ied give it a shot. My problem with the schematic is that I need to print it on a large plan size. I have been trying to veiw in pdf on my laptop and keep getting lost. I did dind the issue thought...need an updated shut down timer relay and harness, nothing that $700 cant fix

$5 gets it printed large format at Staples, but it will be in black and white, and you will still possibly want a magnifying glass handy. At least you can use a highlighter or colored pencil to trace the wiring

$5 gets it printed large format at Staples, but it will be in black and white, and you will still possibly want a magnifying glass handy. At least you can use a highlighter or colored pencil to trace the wiring
Unfortunately, I am in South America and Staples is nowhere to be found, but I have civil engineering plans printed here so I think I will take a digital copy in and have it printed. It sure is nice to be able to converse with you guys because always having to speak Spanish to people that just don't get it, gets pretty old. Thanks again