1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

CAT D3 Oil leak

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Swamp_Donkey, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Swamp_Donkey

Swamp_Donkey Member

So, finally got our tracks repaired...and now something else....an oil leak.

It looks to be leaking right under the diesel injector. How hard would it be to get it fixed? Im figuring taking the whole injector pump off and then put a new gasket on. But i am also wondering will this potentially mess up any timing?

The red circle in the picture is where the oil is leaking from

Thanks

20220902_182113.jpg 20220902_181134.jpg

2. Dave Neubert

Dave Neubert Senior Member

you need to insert timimg pins in the flywhee and injection pump before removing injection pump

Swamp_Donkey likes this.
  3. Swamp_Donkey

Swamp_Donkey Member

I knew something had to be done but wasnt sure. Ive never worked on these before but i have mechanically knowledge. Is it pretty simple?

4. Bluox

Bluox Senior Member

That piece that is leaking has to come off to get the pump off.
    But you don't have to take the pump off.
    Take the oil cooler off and maybe the oil filter .
    4 bolts holds that plate on the pump and there are 4or 5 O-rings involved.
    Bad Bob

shopguy, Vetech63, DB2 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Swamp_Donkey

Swamp_Donkey Member

Awesome! Sounds easy enough. Wish I had a repair manual for this thing. Appreciate the help guys!